6 days post op Liposuction of abdomen, iliacs, and breast lift with implant. When will this swelling go away? (photos)

July 3rd I had lipo of abdomen and iliacs ..breast lift with 475 cc saline implant put in and I am super happy overall with everything. I am super swollen in the back and it is killing me plus I have to sleep on my back right? I wear my suit which is not comfortable but I am so ready for this swelling to go down when can expect to see that? There is a small flatness at bottom of breast at incision site will that round out when stitches dissolve? My PS said if it did not he would fix ! Thanks!!

Doctor Answers 9

See your surgeon about pain

It takes about four months for breast augmentation results to appear, and swelling can last for a few months as well. I recommend you see you surgeon regarding the pain in your back. While discomfort is common following surgery, it shouldn't be "killing" you.

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 176 reviews

Swelling after lipo

It is very normal to have swelling just 6 days after surgery, in fact, it is expected.  Rest assured that it will certainly improve.   I tell my patients that 80% of swelling after liposuction should resolve over the first 4-6 weeks, with the remaining 20% lingering for 3-6 months. 

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Abdominal swelling after breast augmentation/liposuction

Thank you for your question. Abdominal swelling is normal after breast augmentation. Swelling follows gravity and thus your abdomen (and sometimes the thighs) will experience more swelling and add confusion to the post-op period. You may even notice that you've added many pounds on the scale that cannot be explained solely by the addition of implants and despite the liposuction.  You should notice a decrease in the abdominal and back swelling with each week that passes by.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Swelling will take months to resolve after liposuction.

At six days swelling after liposuction is nearly at a maximum. This will resolve fairly quickly over the next few weeks but some swelling will persist for many months.

Vincent N. Zubowicz, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Swelling and pain after liposuction

Call your plastic surgeon to ask about your garment. The pain you are having may be from the garment being too tight. Ask if you can remove it periodically or loosen it. sometimes a tight garment actually increases swelling.  In general swelling subsides a great deal by 2 weeks. best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Questions concerning results

Thank you for your picture.  Your result looks good so far.  Your breast shape and liposuction shape will settle out in about 3 months.

6 days post op Liposuction of abdomen, iliacs, and breast lift with implant. When will this swelling go away?

Did you not have a pre operative inform consent session, where you were told healing takes a few months?? If not than return to your chosen operative surgeon for detailed healing phases info... 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Swelling after a breast lift and Lipo suction

Swelling is expected after any plastic surgical procedure. The swelling of your breast area appears to be normal. It is more common and have tenderness of the bacteria after Liposuction since the blood tends to settle towards the back when you're laying down.

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Swelling after breast surgery and liposuction

Breasts are swollen after surgery for a minimum of 3 months could be as long as 6, liposuction always takes 6 months for swelling to resolve .  Six days is much too early to see anything close to a final result. 

Melinda Haws, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.