How to not be nervous for breast augmentation?

My surgery for my breast augmentation is tomorrow and I am so nervous, I have horrible anxiety and a huge phobia of needles so I'm petrified of getting my IV. Anyone have any advice on how to calm down?! I don't want to have a panic attack as soon as I get there.

Anxiety before breast augmentation surgery.

It's natural to be nervous but unhealthy to be scared the morning of your surgery.  I encourage my patients to think of what their goal is and realize that nearly all patients awaken with a smile in disbelief that the surgery has been completed.  Most feel that they were asleep for only 10-20 minutes and can't believe that it was "that easy."  Assume that you're going to have a similar and easy experience, try your best to relax and replace negative thoughts with visions of your goal breasts!

Best of luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Breast augmentation

It Is important to be open and honest with your plastic surgeon about your anxiety. The anti-anxiety medication prescribed for you to take prior to your surgery should ease your nerves and calm and relax you. It is best to have any medical or mental illnesses under control before undergoing elective cosmetic procedures. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Pre op anxiety

Try deep breathing techniques. Depending on the anesthesiologist, he or she may let you take an Ativan or Valium with a sip of water, particularly if you aren't going to have general anesthesia. The IV needle is small and isn't the same as getting a flu shot. Also keep in mind that you will be surrounded by caring medical professionals who have had many patients with the same anxiety. Best of luck! Remember that, once you get past the IV, you are doing something that you really want!

Breast augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Remember that this is something nice you are doing for yourself.  Your beautiful results will last years, while the IV insertion will last only a moment.  Remember that you have an entire team of trained medical professionals who are there with your safety as their number one priority.  Take slow deep breaths and picture in your mind how great you are going to look!

Camille Cash, MD

Keep the end result in mind…

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.  

I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon), and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.

Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed.

Best wishes for  a great experience and an outcome that you will be very pleased with.