I have a very large abscess on my gum and I started taking antibiotics and my dentist wants to do a root canal? (Photo)

Is it safe to do a root canal with an absess so large right next to it he stated to let it slowly go away on its own and not to drain it i dont know what to do please help do i need a second opinion

Abscess options

Great Question--there are many options to address an abscess--if the diagnosis is that the infection is originating from the tooth root then treating the source with a root canal procedure is proper. Options for draining the abscess or treatment with antibiotics are determined on an individual basis. One or all three are sometimes employed. Getting to the cause with the root canal should provide the best long term results. Good luck.