Time frame for the final result?

If you had septorhinoplasty 11 months ago, but 8 months post op your Dr. performed rasping of a dorsal hump that developed from the first surgery, what is the time frame for the final result? He told me it could take a whole year for the swelling of the second procedure to go down, the rasping procedure. That seems so long!! Is it true? He didn't break any bones with the second procedure so I thought all the swelling would be gone sooner.

Final Result of Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question.  It does normally take a whole year for your get the final result from a rhinoplasty surgery.  However, this was a small reduction of a residual dorsal hump, then the results will be evident sooner (maybe within a few weeks).  I hope this helps. 

Rhinoplasty result

Yes, it can take a full year or longer for all the swelling to subside after a rhinoplasty. Best of luck.

Recovering from rhinoplasty: swelling

amyjob,Your surgeon is correct. Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Waiting for swelling to go down is a major part of that process. Watch my video where I describe the different stages.Keep your follow-up appointments, so your surgeon can follow your progress and keep you on track for safe and happy outcomes. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time frame for healing after rhinoplasty

The time frame for healing for a rhinoplasty varies based on the type of procedure and every patient's individual anatomy.  Even a simple rasping can have longer than anticipated healing due to periosteal (covering of the bone) swelling.  Keep in mind also that different parts of the nose can have a different amount of swelling.  Finally, individual patient characteristics such as skin thickness, diet, associated skin disorders (i.e. rosacea), allergies and other factors can play a role in the degree of swelling as well.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon