20 yr old female. My nose is wide, large for my face, and spreads when I smile. What would a surgeon do for my nose? (photo)

I think if my nose were less wide it would be great. Im satisfied with my nose from the side view. the rounded tip is a family trait and I do not want a obvious up-pointed nose with a very skinny bridge and tip.( BELOW ARE PICTURES OF ME AND A IDEAL PICTURE)

Decrease Nasal Size

Thank you for your question.  Based on your pictures and your concerns, I believe you may be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  The cartilages of the nasal tip and dorsum can be reduced in size and changed in shape with sutures (stitches) to achieve your goals.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Here you will have a physical examination and evalution, and can discuss your goals with your surgeon.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You would need to be seen in person to determine what would be best for your. Review your concerns during consultation. Best of luck.

My nose is wide, large for my face, and spreads when I smile. What would a surgeon do for my nose?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty-septoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.  

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. 

You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations for reducing width

I thinks you have reasonable desires for reducing the width of the base of your nose, and this is certainly achievable with conventional surgical techniques. You should start with a full exam and consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who is board certified.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos. A rhinoplasty can help narrow the bridge and ala of the nose. Depending on what you like, changes in the tip and the bridge height and definition can be made to improve definition and make it less wide. The smiling part is tricky as your nose will always pull wider when you smile. Making your nose stronger can help resist the pull a little bit and botox can help slightly but you can't eliminate this feature to preserve your smile. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose

briadreamilliams, your photos are nice but not very helpful. In rhinoplasty an exam is always needed to give specific advice. See an experienced surgeon who specializes in "only faces" with excellent photos. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhiniplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. From what I can tell in your photo, you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon