How can you tell if the vein is dying after Scleropathy? Does a foam treatment take longer to resolve? (Photo)

These 2 veins were treated with the foam solution. They were treated in November, so 4 months ago. They are raised and much darker than before they were treated. Are they dying or do they need another treatment?

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. Discoloration is common after sclerotherapy injections. It will typically resolve on its own, but can take up to a year to subside. If a lump has occurred, trapped blood may be present and would need to be drained. To be sure whats best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Darkness After Sclerotherapy

this is likely blood clots that need to be removed in the office or skin darkening from inadequate compression.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Drainage of retained coagulum after sclerotherapy will improve cosmetic appearance

This occurs after sclerotherapy if there is poor compression after procedure, such as poor compliance with stockings. I recommend that you get this coagulum evacuated with needle puncture to improve the cosmetic appearance.

Dr H Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Foam sclerotherapy.

The pictures posted shows a treated vein with clot in it.  I would drain this vein (evacuate) with a small needle to release the trapped blood.  This will allow the vein to heal. What you show occurs commonly follwing foam sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon