Tummy tuck or not? (photo)

Even when I was thinner, the bottom of my belly kinda hung out like it does now. I've had stretch marks on my belly for a long time. I think it's from my weight going up and down and back up when I was younger.

TT with lipo

Hi there. You will benefit from weight loss to a BMI of less than 30, a full tummy tuck  and liposuction of the back and flanks. This sequence will provide you with the best results.  

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat concentrated in the abdomen.  Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.Considering any and all of these factors playing a role in your situation your next step to determine the best options for abdominoplasty would be to visit a local certified surgeon and receive a consultation as to what would best help you reach your desired results. Best of luck!

Tummy tuck or not

A tummy tuck will remove the excess skin hanging down over your pubic region but you should not expect a thinner abdomen or a tighter waist. That will be limited due to the intra-abdominal fat that you have. What you can do is have a procedure  called a panniculectomy where only that overhanging skin is removed and nothing else is done. There are times insurance will cover that due to chronic infections in the skin, but that is not a tummy tuck.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck candidate?

From your photos, it appears that you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck along with liposuction.  For the best result, you should try to get closer to your ideal body weight with a BMI < 30.  See a plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Am I Ready for a Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

• The photos you've provided demonstrate what appears to be an abundance of intra-abdominal fat.
  • During a tummy tuck your plastic surgeon won't be removing any of this fat.
  • Therefore, it is important that you are as close to your ideal weight as possible in order to get the results you are hoping for. 
  • It appears that you need to lose some weight prior to a tummy tuck. 
  • Definitely, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated and to find out more!

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I would recommend you a full tummy tuck and lipo all around , it will give you great results. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck or not?

You are correct that weight fluctuations can over time stretch both the abdominal muscles and the skin leading to the roundness of the entire abdomen and lower abdominal overhang.  A tummy tuck with routine repair of the muscles along with liposuction of the entire waist would likely make a dramatic improvement.  The only concern would be how much intraabominal fat (below the muscle and surrounding your organs) is present.  It would take an in person exam to determine this.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options.Best wishes.

Shayne Webb, MD

Tummy tuck or not

Thank you for your question.  Although you are technically a candidate for a tummy tuck, you would greatly benefit from some weight loss prior to the procedure.  It is typically recommended that your BMI be below 30 at the time of surgery in order to decrease your risk of complications and improve your cosmetic outcome.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your options.  Your surgeon should be very experienced in the procedure, show you before and after photos of prior patients, and be someone with whom you are comfortable and confident.  If you are not quite ready for surgery, your surgeon should also be willing and able to provide guidance on your best course of action to be a better candidate for surgery.  Hope this helps!  Best wishes!!

Options for Abdomen

Hello!Thank you for the question and photos.We have many patients that present themselves in our practice as your photos represent. Two options lay within depending what your goals are. You may have an abdominoplasty and liposuction of the waist (if desired) to help remove skin, fat, and tighten muscle. The upper abdomen if you feel is full will have some fullness in the abdomen after the procedure as the upper area may not be liposuctioned (this area is the area of new blood supply). You will notice your result but may not be as flat as desired.You may go the route of liposuction and deflating the areas. We typically use Smart Lipo Triplex to help with skin tightening. After 6-9 months evaluating to see if the skin has retracted enough or if loose skin remains then performing an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) to tighten muscle and remove excess skin. This will give the flattest and tightest result.Best of luck.Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck & Lipo

It appears as though you would benefit from a tummy tuck with liposuction, however, without a physical examination, it is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate for a surgical procedure. If undergoing such body contouring procedures is something you are interested in, I would schedule an in-person consultation with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in all areas of body contouring. During your consultation, your surgeon can better asses your concerns and determine an outcome that best suits your body and your lifestyle.