Able to trim outer lips?

I recently heard of vagina/labia plasty and thought I would submit pictures of mine to see if I can do it.

Labiaplasty - inner/outer lips?

Although your photos did not upload, here is what i can tell you about labiaplasty surgery:

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Please don't say "trim"

trim is a bad word in my labiaplasty book. Trimming the labia minora creates a scar along the entire vaginal opening. This can lead to pain and poor scarring, especially when closed how most trim doctors are closing: with a baseball stitch. 

Much better to find a doctor who uses the extended wedge technique. Look closely and you'll see the difference! 

Labiaplasty

A Labiaplasty procedure can meana labia minora reduction (inner lips)  OR labia majora reduction (outer lips) or both.  Some patients need to have just the minora while other need the majora. It depends on what it is that is causing the discomfort physically and emotionally.  I cant see much in the photos but I perform Labia Majora reduction surgery quite often. The trim method is the method I choose most for the labia majora reduction.

John G. Hunter, MD

Trim outer lips?

Certainly any patient who feels that their labia are enlarged for their bodies and have either cosmetic or functional issues w/ them typically are candidates for labiaplasty/labia reduction. Many techniques are available including labial linear contouring techniques utilizing laser and/or other high energy technology to remove the excess labia minora tissue. I would disagree that "wedge" resection techniques are the only way to have a reduction and not have a scar. We have seen many patients that have had the wedge technique that does not heal properly and leaves them with a divot in their labia or a scar that they are not pleased with. Additionally, women that have darkened or pigmented edges many times do not want this and would like the edges of the labia to be lighter. The only way to obtain this is through linear contouring as the wedge technique will leave the edges darkened. Linear contouring completed by an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon heals naturally and without scarring (review before and after pictures prior to going to any surgeon please). Labia majora, i.e. the outer labial folds can also be recused in a way that minimizes scarring as well. The MOST important thing you can do is to go to one experienced vaginal cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon that is competent in all techniques. You definitely should consider travelling to find this type of expert as the procedure is very amenable to have completed as a day surgery that you travel in for. 

Dr Robert D Moore

Cosmetic/Vaginal Reconstructive Surgeon

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Able to trim outer lips? Just heard about vaginoplasty and labiaplasty surgery.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry your photos did not come through. Please resubmit them so that I may give you a better response.  Please also know that you must have a clinical exam including a pelvic exam by a gynecologist who specializes in cosmetic-plastic gynecology to see if you are a candidate for these surgeries. 

Although I cannot evaluate your photos I would like to offer you some education on labiaplasty and vaginoplasty surgery.  I have performed hundreds of these procedures and must say that it is not a "one size fits all" surgery.  As an experienced cosmetic-plastic gynecologist I have lectured on the Pros and Cons of Labiaplasty in which I evaluated the different surgical techniques.  Of the eleven published surgical procedures (last time I checked it was 11) in our medical journals I perform four types.  An experienced surgeon knows how to perform more than one type of labiaplasty because different patients have different desires and no two labias are alike! In many cases I combine techniques in order to provide my patients with the best possible outcome, a result they are very happy with and a result I am proud of.  There are several factors in choosing the best technique for 'your labiaplasty' including such things as the thickness of the labial tissues, the skin color and length desired, any noted asymmetries, the relation of the labia to the clitoral hood, the risks for breakdown, etc.  As far as vaginoplasty is concerned, it must be evaluated by a gynecologist or urogynecologist who are trained in the structures of the pelvic floor.  Again, this is not just placing a 'stitch' at the vaginal opening, when done properly based on your pelvic examination, it may involve reconstruction of the vaginal canal to give you the desired outcome. Please also know that there are some non-surgical options like ThermiVa available for vaginal tightening and may be a good option for you if you are a candidate for them.

These are not simple procedures to perform 'well' and the best advice I can give you is to have your surgery performed by a surgeon with experience who can show you many before and after photos of their work, NOT another surgeons.  Consult with several surgeons and be comfortable with your decision.  I hope this was helpful and best of luck with your decision.

Dr. John Serrao
Cosmetic-Plastic Gynecologist 

Labiaplasty

This is a very common procedure. I have attached a video that explains it.

Dr Scot Ennis

Your photos didn't come through

Labiaplasty can be assessed semi accurately via photos, but vaginoplasty cannot. I would recommend you schedule a consultation for a complete examination to lay out all of your options. Feel free to email me privately for specific information and quotes.

Able to trim outer lips?

Both the labia majora and labia minora can be reduced surgically. In order to provide you with the best guidance on how to proceed, viewable photos would be most helpful.  On a side note, some patient are unsure of the anatomy and whether their labia minora or majora are the problem, below provides you a link with more information regarding the anatomy and the different procedures offered by most surgeons who specialize in labiaplasty procedures. 

Able to trim outer lips? Photos not viewable!!

Thanks for the question but for some computer reason --- LOL---you photos are not displaying properly.  Re upload your photos so the surgeons here can give some beginning advise.  Most anyone can have a labia minora reduction if they are protruding beyond the labia majora.  If what you mean is the labia majora are sagging ----- yes they most certainly can be reduced but please choose a surgeon who can prove to you they understand this surgery.   Not everyone on this site understands labia majora reduction .... that is if that is what you are inquiring about.  

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Able to trim outer lips?

Thank you for sharing your question and for seeking more information on a labiaplasty.  Unfortunately it does not appear that your photographs loaded appropriately in order to give you definite advice.  That said, there is a wide spectrum in the appearance of a woman's genital anatomy, and some women may have asymmetrical or enlarged labia that cause difficulty with exercise, sex, and wearing particular articles of clothing.  In these cases a labiaplasty can be performed to achieve an improved functional and aesthetic appearance.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to discuss your best treatment option.  Best wishes.