Can saline implants possibly rupture or shift do to being squeezed or pressed on?

I am 5 weeks post op, saline under the muscle and have been paranoid that something will happen to my implants like rupture or shift if I do anything physical with my upper torso. Specifically, them being squeezed or pressed on. They were not squeezed very aggressively but no gentle either. No swelling or pain or any decrease in size from what I can tell. Not sure if I'm overthinking or I should be concerned and more careful. Help!!

Saline implants

In general saline implants have a higher chance of rupturing while in your body compared to silicone. Having said that the normal forces that you are describing will typically not cause saline implants to rupture. There have been reported cases of saline implants rupturing during a motor vehicle accident when airbags deploy. As you can imagine that force is quite tremendous. It has also been reported with mammograms. It is still important to get your mammogram, as 1 in 8 women develop breast cancer at the appropriate age however. My recommendation for you is to relax and see your plastic surgeon on all of your routine follow up appointments.
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

It would be very unlikely any damage was sustained to the implant.   By 5 weeks post-op the pocket and capsule surrounding the implant are pretty well healed and protective.  Also, the shell of the implant is thick enough to withstand the situation you described.   As long as you don't see any difference in the position of the implants or volume of the implants you are probably ok.   If you are still apprehensive then a quick exam by your surgeon will put your mind at ease.Hope this helps.

Worry after Surgery

Thanks for your question and congratulations on getting through your breast augmentation surgery.  It would be very difficult to rupture or cause a leak in saline implants as the breast tissue provides a good protective barrier.  As well, the exterior covering of the implant is strong to force as well.  Make sure to keep your post operative appointments and discuss any worries you may have with your surgeon.  Wishing you all the best,
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Saline Breast Implant Concerns

Breast implants are designed to withstand normal activities and contact. You aren't likely to do any damage with the activity you described plus with Saline implants, you can expect to see a visible decrease in size if ruptured.
Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns and activities. They will likely tell you to go ahead and enjoy your new body without worry.
Take care

Gentle squeezing will not harm saline implants

You are being overly concerned. Normal lifestyle squeezing will not harm your saline implants. Relax.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Can saline implants possibly rupture after being squeezed?

Thank you for your question. The situation you describe does not seem to be a cause for implant rupture. That said, after a breast augmentation we want to protect the incisions and avoid external trauma for the first three weeks or so, and then be relatively careful with everything until everything is really settled at two months. At 5 weeks post op everything should be mostly healed, and if you dont have any weird pain or swelling after what happened then everything should be fine. If you´re very concerned you should see your chosen surgeon so that he can examine you and give you a good advice. 

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. I think that you can have peace of mind; breast implants are very durable and can withstand significant pressure.  Generally, they do not leak with the type of activity you describe.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that this has caused you to worry.  By 5 weeks much of your healing has taken place to ensure proper positioning of your implant and as you have not seen any physical appearance changes to your breasts all is likely well.  It would be very difficult for your implants to be squeezed sufficiently that they sustained an injury or damage.  Hope this helps.

Highly unlikely

Your saline breast implants will hopefully last for decades under normal wear and tear after breast augmentation.  You have not damaged or hurt your implants.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS