Does rhinoplasty affect singing?

One thing I for got to ask the MD during my consultation - resonance in my nasal area, face, and head in general are all important in singing. Would having rhinoplasty affect this? Any feedback from singers about whether or not, and if so how, this has affected them?

Singing and Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question.  I would say that depending on the specific rhinoplasty procedure that is done can affect the turbulent flow through the nostrils which can affect singing.  However, this would probably be just a minimal change if any at all.  I hope this helps!

Rhinoplasty and vocals

The short answer to your question is yes; a rhinoplasty surgery could impact your singing voice. It may have a minimal affect or it may alter it significantly. Resonance and timbre are qualities that play an impact as sounds move through your entire upper airway and therefore any procedure there could have a potential impact. Again, it could be minimal or it could be significant. Good luck with your decision. It may also depend upon the extent of your rhinoplasty procedure. I would discuss this with your physician.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Singing

Rhinoplasty would very unlikely to cause any changes in a  singing voice particularly if no internal septal or turbinate work was done. I have operated one operate singer and there was no change in her singing voice.

Does rhinoplasty effect singing?

A septoplasty involves making airflow changes in the back of the nose which can affect the resonance of the voice.  Only very minuscule changes would occur with a rhinoplasty procedure, if any

It most certainly can.

Your question is an excellent one. The short answer is yes. If you are primarily addressing the nasal tip the concern should be minimal. If, however, your plastic surgeon has recommended osteotomies, or if there is a  change to nasal air flow, this could potentially affect resonance. That is why many notable singers did not have a rhinoplasty (Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion), but obviously some have (Michael Jackson). Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon