Red mucus coming from nose after Rhinoplasty?

I've recently had a rhinoplasty surgery but also had my deviated septum corrected. After all the packing came out I started smelling this nasty foul smell and after using a netipot I realized its this red mucus that comes out from my nose. It smells and tastes awful. Often times people can smell it off me too. I'm 13 days since the surgery and will most likely see my doctor once I can schedule it but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on if this is normal or treatable. Thanks

Malodorous nasal drainage after rhinoplasty

You definitely need to see your rhinoplasty surgeon asap. What you describe is likely some dried old blood from your surgery that got infected. You may need to be treated with oral antibiotics as this can become (if it hasn't already) a sinus infection. In the meantime, if your surgeon gives you permission, you may use the netipot to rinse out the nasal cavities.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red mucus after rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to fully asses your situation without an in-person examination. If everything appears to be okay after an exam, we usually suggest irrigating with saline to wash out any blood clots or mucus.  This will help with the smell that is concerning you.  An infection, though unlikely, should be kept in mind and ruled out.  An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Red mucus after septorhinoplasty

Some of the blood trapped in sinuses after surgery comes out mixed with mucus and gives it a red or pink color. This is normal and will go away soon. However, if there is a foul odor, then it could be infection and you will need to see a doctor RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon