Minor breast lift with implant revision - no vertical scar? (photos)

According to multiple doctors, I am on the borderline of needing a breast lift when i switch my saline implants for silicone. The saline implants have bottomed out and stretched the lower pole region. Can this be done with just a scar under the breast in the crease?

Breast Lift with Implant Revision

In the photo shown here your arms are slightly raised. This also artificially raises the breasts. Thus it would appear that the entire breast mound is somewhat too low and would benefit from a breast lift. All breast lifts will require an incision that goes around the edge of the areola. Also the distance that the nipples are raised is also the distance that is added to the distance from the nipple down to the bottom of the breast. Since this distance is already maxed out, it will probably be too long as well and require some shortening. Because the lower portion of the breast has been stretched out both the height and the width have been stretched. An incision along the breast crease alone is unlikely to address both of these issues. If the entire breast implant pocket is raised (and it will need to be to get the best correction), then there will certainly be too much skin both vertically and horizontally below the nipple. A periareolar incision with a vertical extension towards the bottom breast crease would in my opinion be the most predictable way to get the best aesthetic result possible.
Breast revision surgery is always more complicated than the original procedure. More information about breast revision surgery is available at the web link below.
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

It is possible to repalce the implants and repair the inframamary fold without any new scars, by only repairing the internal tissues and not removing skin.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Lift with revision

I would agree with the answers provided by my colleagues.  In lieu of a capsulorraphy, it may be beneficial to consider a neosubmuscular pocket.  A capsulorraphy may have a higher risk of stretching out than establishing a new pocket, and having control over the position of the implant. I would also consider the use of a textured implant.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Minor breast lift with implant revision - no vertical scar?

Thank you for your question.  Rather than having any lift done at all, I would suggest that your implants be ruptured in a controlled setting in the office approximately one month before surgery.  Doing so would allow your breast skin to contract prior to surgery likely eliminating the need for a lift.  I would also suggest placement of textured submuscular implants, preferably tear-drop/anatomically shaped implants, which would hopefully prevent future bottoming out of your implants.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.  I'd be happy to see you for a complimentary consultation.  Hope this helps!

Lift or touch up

From your photographs, it's my opinion that you do not need a lift but simply a correction of the bottom portion of your pocket. This would be called an inferior capsulorraphy. It may also be necessary to slightly extend the horizontal incision to include some excision of the extra skin. A board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast revision would be your best resource. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast lift

You do not need a breast lift, period.Your implants have bottomed out, a small amount. Ideally one would like the nipple near the center of the breast with 55% of the volume below the nipple. In your case, there is now more volume below the nipple. This can  be approached in two ways. One, put more volume above by putting in a larger implant that will protrude more superiorly, or two, correct the bottoming out and keep the same size implant. Correcting the bottoming out is done by tightening the pocket from the inside. I would not let anyone do a "lift" with scars on the outside of the breast, as it is unnecessary.Good luck