Love handles not responding post Body lift and lipo. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am pleased with my body lift. I am 10 weeks out and my front looks good. I have some hard swelling around the incision up to the new belly button, but, overall my expectations are met. My love handles have not improved at all. I understand the lipo can take longer to heal and see results. Based on my pics, should I be concerned. Also, I am still not able to fit into most pre-op clothes. I was 211 on surgery, 219 Monday after, I am 215 currently. Plan to get back to 190-200.

Liposuction - not seeing results

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • In your photos, I don't see the scar on the back of a body lift -
  • I do see the evidence of liposuction.
  • Did you perhaps have an abdominoplasty in the front and liposuction in the back.
  • I agree that your flanks look very swollen - 
  • I think you need to return to your surgeon to have her/his advice as to what the problem is and if there is anything that can be done.
  • Swelling can be very prolonged which is frustrating.
  • Swelling will subside over the next 3-4 months or longer.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Love handles after body lift surgery

Thanks for posting your questions and photographs.  From your photographs I can’t identify any scar on your back which indicates to me that you didn’t have a complete circumference body lift rather a tummy tuck.  In any case, you are still in the relatively early post operative phase and its too early to be concerned about your final results.  Patients in my practice typically experience fluctuations in swelling after tummy tuck and liposuction surgery which persists for several months.

Love handles not responding post Body lift and lipo

Thank you for your question. From you picture I can not see scar on your lower back from body lift. If only lipo done to your waist are you are still in healing phase. You need to give 4 more months to give them settle and if there is any excess loose skin and may need to plan for excision. Please talk to your PS

Love handles

From your description of a "body lift" that would imply to most plastic surgeons that the excision of skin took place all the way around  the torso  leaving a circumferential scar. I cannot see that in the postop photograph. If only liposuction was done, and there still is some skin redundancy, then some type of excision of the extra skin extending from the tummy tuck incision will be necessitated to make it better. I would wait a few months after surgery to allow the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS