Lip fillers that last?

I've gotten lip fillers (Restylane Silk) around September of last year. It was about half a syringe I believe? Everything looked good while they were swollen but after a few weeks I noticed my lips decreased back to the original size before fillers. I'm fairly active and have to talk quite a bit at my job. I'm wanting to get them done again but want something that's going to last. Which would be my best option? Also syringe size. Should I opt for larger syringe?

Lip fillers

The only fillers that are appropriate for the lips are hyaluronic acid-based fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm.  These fillers can be dissolved if needed.  It is true that fillers generally don't last as long in the lips compared to other areas.  Sometimes it's possible to inject a bit of Botox into the lip to reduce movement slightly and make the filler last longer.  It's possible that you were under filled and you might want to consider using a full 1 cc syringe instead of a half syringe.   

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Longevity of Lip Fillers

Thank you for your question. It is a very common one! Longevity is a double edged sword. If the material and the injection technique are good, then longevity is a good thing. If either are not optimal, then longevity can be bad. This is why the hyaluronic acid products like Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero are good. If you don't like how they look, they can be dissolved, or go away in time. Most patients will use a full syringe for lips. 

Another option is a permanent implant such as "Perma". This is a soft silicone implant placed via a simple technique. Fat transfer to your lips is another option. You should see a surgeon who can computer image for you what is realistic to expect.

Best wishes!

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

Typically after lip augmentation, the size of the lips will go down about 25% after the swelling subsides. While restylane silk is a good filler, there are others that may last longer.

Lip augmentation

Hi and thanks for your question. You can try longer lasting HA fillers like Juvederm Volbella or Emervel lips . They can last up to 18 month but if you are a very active person they might not last very long . The other option is to use semipermanent collagen base filler like Bellofil but if you do not like the result they last 3-5 years. I suggest to consult an expert physician 

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician