Internal crepitus sensation under textured anatomical breast implant, 6 weeks post-op. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am 6 weeks post-op textured anatomical sub muscular breast implants, and over the last week I have noticed that when he implant is moved (when lifting breast to wash or place silicone strips on incision sites, or putting on sports bra), I can feel an internal sensation that could be described as crepitus/slight grinding/crackling. No pain, and no swelling/distortion of the breast. Is this something I should give time to resolve on its own, or should it be immediately addressed?

6 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Crepitus in implants

This is not so unusual, though not particularly common. Sometime the patient can actually hear a sound like a creaking leather saddle. In over 25 years I have only had one patient that I am aware of that had this persist beyond one year. She still had it 2 years later and was lost to follow up. It is unlikely to be a sign of any problem.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Sensations around your breast implants are probably normal

In the absence of any other findings or problems, the things you are describing are probably a normal part of the process of healing.  At 6 weeks after surgery, you will still have some thickening and swelling of tissues around your implant, and the capsule is incompletely formed.  Thus, there are probably lots of irregular and more or less rough surfaces adjacent to the implants.  When an implant slides against these, you can feel it, and sometimes even hear it!  As the capsule becomes more mature and smooth, and the tissue irregularities fade, this is less noticeable.  Additionally, depending upon the techniques and suture types your surgeon used, you may be feeling irregularity of some suture material rubbing against the moving implants as well.  I would still run this by your surgeon though just to be sure that there isn't something else to consider.  They will know about any specific details about how your surgery was done too, and that is important knowledge to be able to fully advise you too.  Best of luck.

Textured implants

Your implant might just be moving in the pocket.  Textured implants tend to grip the pocket more and anatomic implants tend to be in smaller pockets.  If there is no pain or swelling, then you should wait and follow it along.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon