I had a tummy tuck, with muscle repair, 4 years ago. The area around my belly button is protruding. Could it be scar tissue?

My doctor told me she had problems "placing" my belly button. For about the last year I have noticed the area around my belly button getting larger and protruding. I am having sharp pains around my belly button. At times the pain is a small stinging pain as well as a tearing away feeling. Could this be due to scar tissue..and if so, what can be done?

Area around belly button protruding after Tummy Tuck

I agree with the others that this would require a physical examination to determine exactly what is causing this. It does sound like a possible umbilical hernia which an opening in the strength layer of your abdominal wall near your belly button. When your intestines poke out through the opening, the bulge is experienced. Pain may also be experienced during this as well. Typically, a simple repair could be undertaken to fix this.

Could it be scar tissue?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated. It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place. This may be residual muscle laxity from your original tummy tuck that has worsened with time, or possibly a hernia.  See your surgeon for an evaluation and discussion of treatment options. Hope this helps.

The area around my belly button is protruding after tummy tuck?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing.  Physical examination will be necessary to provide you with specific diagnosis and advice. However, your description is  consistent with the  presence of a possible hernia.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon for evaluation. Best wishes.