I think I have tuberous breasts and I want to get gel implants, do I need to get a special kind of procedure? (photos)

I think I have tuberous breasts and I want to get gel implants, do I need to get a special kind of procedure?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  Fortunately you do not have classic tuberous breast.  However the right breast in particular is constricted beneath the areola.  My hope would be that breast implants placed on top of the muscle beneath the breast along with mastotomy as to release any constriction could give you a very nice result.  However it is best that she seek a formal consultation, examination and in opinion by very experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and formulate a plan based on your exam.

Surgery for Tuberous Breasts

Thanks for your question and photos. I agree that you have tuberous breasts with asymmetry.  Your tuberous breast deformity is relatively mild.  If you were my patient, I would recommend placement of silicone gel filled implants in the dual plane position, release of constricting bands (internally), lowering of your inframammary crease and probably a periareaolar mastopexy or adjustment of your areolae. To put it in more simplified terms, I think you could achieve a very nice result with a breast augmentation and probable areolar adjustment. Some additional manuevers would need to be done during the breast augmentation to achieve a great result.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in the correction of tuberous breasts.  Best of luck.  

Tuberous breasts

Thank you for your pictures.  I do agree that you have the characteristics of tuberous breasts.  Most often this is addressed by a combination of breast augmentation, release of internal constricting bands in the lower portion of the breast, and possibly a peri-areolar mastopexy (breast lift) to reduce the diameter of the areola.  This is usually done in a single surgery, but can be staged in more severe cases.  I recommend a consultation with a beard certified plastic surgeon. 

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

Yes you do have tuberous breast but a mild form. I do think in your case you can still receive a nice result with implants alone. An alternative option may be implant with a nipple  reduction. 

Tuberous

Yes, I think your breasts have elements of tuberous breasts.   Some maneuvers will likely need to be performed that are not done in a straight breast augmentation.  Best of luck.

Tuberous Breast Augmentation

The goal of breast augmentation for tuberous breasts is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a tuberous breast consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant and delineate the best surgical treatment. The decision on size, shape, and position of the implants is based on the patient’s anatomy and the type and size of the implant and patients preferences.

The picture you posted demonstrates some of the stigmata of tuberous breasts - a contracted lower pole, wisely spaced breasts, and a puffy areola. You should get a nice result from a dual plane augmentation though a periareolar approach combined with a lower pole release and a circumareolar mastopexy.

See the link below for more information.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

#gelimplants #tuberousbreasts

From you photo, your breasts appear widely spaced and you have a short nipple to inframammary crease distance. this means that during an augmentation surgery, you would have to have your inframammary crease released and lowered. In addition, I would recommend your surgeon consider a subgladular or subfascial placement.

You would be a good candidate for gel implants. Have a discussion with you surgeon on the technique used for optimal outcome.

I think I have tuberous breasts

From the images you have given, your breasts do not have the turberous breast deformity but do have a very short nipple to infra mammary crease. The Allergan 410  "gummy bear" implants help shape the breast to correct this issue more than standard round smooth silicone implants. See a board certified Plastic Surgeon for a good opinion. Make sure they are familiar with these implants as there are some technical differences in there use. Good luck.

Tuberous breasts

From your photographs it does appear that you have some of the elements of what we would call a "tuberous breast". The tuberous breast usually consists of a very constricted or narrow base with a large areola with some amount of extra breast tissue behind the areola. The correction of this breast anomaly usually requires some type of circular mastopexy to change the pointed configuration of the breast to one that is more rounded. Also, because the infra-memory crease is higher than one would like, this crease likewise needs to be lowered. If lowered too much, the risk is one of a double bubble where to contours are seen at the bottom. One from the old crease and the lower one where the implant is. If one can raise the nipple a little bit, then less lowering of this crease will need to be done. Therefore, in my hands, the appropriate operation is a circular breast lift or mastopexy with a silicone gel breast implant. You need to be careful in the selection of the size of the implant as this is critical to the outcome of this procedure. Since some skin, of necessity, will need to be removed to move the nipple upward, and there is usually a paucity of skin in the transverse direction anyway, a large implant may necessitate coverage by skin that is no longer there. I would tell our patients that there are some limitations in size if this operation is to be successful. Years later, after the skin is more stretched, a larger implant may be able to be placed. I would recommend you find a board certified plastic surgeon with demonstrated experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Best of luck.