I think I have tuberous breasts and I want to get gel implants, do I need to get a special kind of procedure? (photos)

I think I have tuberous breasts and I want to get gel implants, do I need to get a special kind of procedure?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

#breastaugmentation #breastimplants #plasticsurgery

Hello Tallulahruby, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Fortunately you do not have classic tuberous breast.  However the right breast in particular is constricted beneath the areola.  My hope would be that breast implants placed on top of the muscle beneath the breast along with mastotomy as to release any constriction could give you a very nice result.  However it is best that she seek a formal consultation, examination and in opinion by very experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and formulate a plan based on your exam.

Surgery for Tuberous Breasts

Thanks for your question and photos. I agree that you have tuberous breasts with asymmetry.  Your tuberous breast deformity is relatively mild.  If you were my patient, I would recommend placement of silicone gel filled implants in the dual plane position, release of constricting bands (internally), lowering of your inframammary crease and probably a periareaolar mastopexy or adjustment of your areolae. To put it in more simplified terms, I think you could achieve a very nice result with a breast augmentation and probable areolar adjustment. Some additional manuevers would need to be done during the breast augmentation to achieve a great result.  I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in the correction of tuberous breasts.  Best of luck.  

Laurence Weider, MD

Tuberous breasts

Thank you for your pictures.  I do agree that you have the characteristics of tuberous breasts.  Most often this is addressed by a combination of breast augmentation, release of internal constricting bands in the lower portion of the breast, and possibly a peri-areolar mastopexy (breast lift) to reduce the diameter of the areola.  This is usually done in a single surgery, but can be staged in more severe cases.  I recommend a consultation with a beard certified plastic surgeon. 

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

Yes you do have tuberous breast but a mild form. I do think in your case you can still receive a nice result with implants alone. An alternative option may be implant with a nipple  reduction. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous

Yes, I think your breasts have elements of tuberous breasts.   Some maneuvers will likely need to be performed that are not done in a straight breast augmentation.  Best of luck.

Tuberous Breast Augmentation

The goal of breast augmentation for tuberous breasts is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a tuberous breast consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant and delineate the best surgical treatment. The decision on size, shape, and position of the implants is based on the patient’s anatomy and the type and size of the implant and patients preferences.

The picture you posted demonstrates some of the stigmata of tuberous breasts - a contracted lower pole, wisely spaced breasts, and a puffy areola. You should get a nice result from a dual plane augmentation though a periareolar approach combined with a lower pole release and a circumareolar mastopexy.

See the link below for more information.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

#gelimplants #tuberousbreasts

From you photo, your breasts appear widely spaced and you have a short nipple to inframammary crease distance. this means that during an augmentation surgery, you would have to have your inframammary crease released and lowered. In addition, I would recommend your surgeon consider a subgladular or subfascial placement.

You would be a good candidate for gel implants. Have a discussion with you surgeon on the technique used for optimal outcome.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

I think I have tuberous breasts

From the images you have given, your breasts do not have the turberous breast deformity but do have a very short nipple to infra mammary crease. The Allergan 410  "gummy bear" implants help shape the breast to correct this issue more than standard round smooth silicone implants. See a board certified Plastic Surgeon for a good opinion. Make sure they are familiar with these implants as there are some technical differences in there use. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon