My hair line has steadily receded over past 3 to 4 years. I am currently 21 years of age, I want to know if it is MPB or TE?

Genetics on my dad side run very bald my dad and his father are bald. My mother's side her brother and father are bald. I have 2 brothers who are balding. My temples are what have been receding. However, I was diagnosed anemic not too long ago as I have not been eating well around this time I started receding. I was low in iron and vitamine D. I was 20 pounds below my actual weight.

Male Pattern Balding

Your history is most consistent with early male pattern balding. Anemia secondary to iron deficiency will aggravate hair loss. See your family doctor or dermatologist for medical diagnosis and treatment of your hair loss.

Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Receding Hair Line with Hair Loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone, Transplant

Without pictures, it's difficult to determine. I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in hair loss for a formal consultation. There are many options for hair loss: PRP, Progesterone, and Rogaine etc.   See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Genetic balding in 21 year old

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The only way to know for sure is to have a personal one on one consultation. This way all the factors can be considered and evaluated. It does sound like it is more likely being caused by Male Pattern Baldness. From the sounds of it you have the "gene" pretty strong on both sides of the family. 

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a reputable hair transplant specialist to see what your options are at this stage. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male pattern baldness

Your family history and the way that you are balding all suggest MPB.  TE would involve more diffuse thinning of your hair.  You should have a consultation to discuss your options.  Thanks for the question.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Without a photo and seeing your scalp, one can not determine with full confidence a diagnosis. Be sure to see a dermatologist or hair loss specialist.

The story you have given has features of genetic hair loss and possibly hairline maturation as well. It had no features of Telogen Effluvium (TE).

TE causes diffuse hair loss meaning the hair loss is all over. Genetic hair loss can often start with recession as you've described.