Would I be a good rhinoplasty and/or Botox in the jaw candidate? (Photos)

I don't hate the look of my nose, and would prefer that it maintain its natural look- but want it to become a little more narrow/less large. Would I be better off not taking the risk? Botox question, I tend to find myself gritting my teeth during the day and feel that my jaw is somewhat wide- do you think Botox could help give my cheeks a slimmer look due to muscle build up in my cheeks, or is Botox most likely not going to change much of my cheek shape? Thanks!

Rhinoplasty and Facial Question

Thank you for your question!  I would suggest that you have an in-person consultation with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  I hear your concern that you 'hate' your nose; however, it appears from your pictures that you have a nice balance between your nose and your face.  At a consultation, you will have the opportunity to discuss your concerns and goals for your nose.  To help narrow the tip and overall size of the nose, you may be a good candidate for an open Rhinoplasty.

Botox placed into the masseter muscle is an excellent way to soften the appearance of these muscles, and the size and width of the face.  Be sure to seek a consultation with an expert injector, who knows the proper placement for these injections.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or Botox to jaw

A rhinoplasty could help you achieve the look that you desire.  Osteotomies can help narrow the appearance of the nose throughout the bridge while keeping a natural look that will be balanced with your face.  It is important that you and your surgeon discuss your aesthetic goals and the need to give your nose appropriate support. 

In certain cases, an enlarged masseter muscle can contribute to widening of the lower face.  For these patients, Botox may be able to help the contour of the face by thinning these muscles which should not interfere with your ability to chew.

At your consultation, you can determine with your doctor if these treatments are right for you.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose and Cheeks

Botox is effective for temporarily reducing the size of the masseter muscle over the jaw angle region but will have not effect on the cheeks. There is a delicate balance between a natural looking rhinoplasty and one that could be overdone when you have a fairly well shaped nose. Rhinoplasty could be beneficial but must be done in a conservative fashion.

Would I be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty and Botox in the jaw?

Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle when it is thickened and hypertrophied, and it offers a temporary solution to weaken the bite muscle and reduce the bulk in that area. It is not FDA approved for that application. A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish making the nose smaller, narrowing the bridge, refining the nasal tip and shaving down the bridge line a few millimeters. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful at the time of consultation to give you an idea of what your nose would look like on your facial features. For more information and many  before and after examples, please see the link and the video below

Botox and rhinoplasty

Botox may help your jaw if the muscle is very thick. A rhinoplasty could benefit you depending upon your goals.

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

Without knowing your medical history or an examination in person, a final recommendation cannot and should not be made. However, based on the pictures your provided, you might be an excellent candidate for Botox injections into your masseter muscle to narrow the lower cheeks. Please note that this is an off-label, non-FDA approved use of Botox. With regards to your nose, I advise that you see a rhinoplasty expert for a consultation. From the few images you provided (which are limited as your eyes and other facial features cannot be seen), though, it seems that you may be best off without a rhinoplasty given that you "don't hate the look of your nose" and your nose appears already rather refined and appropriate in size. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD