What is the general concensus in plastic surgery on 18 year olds getting breast lifts?

I experienced a pretty heavy weight gain maybe a year ago, which is around the time that I developed D cup breasts. I've been a constant cup since then, but I went from a C to a D pretty quickly and now my breasts are saggy. I was wondering the general train of thought in the medical community about doing a breast lift for an 18 y/o. Is it recommended, or not recommended? My weight has fluctuated a lot over the past year, but my breasts have stayed the same. Not sure if that helps.

Candidate for Beast Lift Because of Weight Changes

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another. One category of candidates is patients who have had weight loss, again, through either diet or surgical procedure. And a lot of women, when they lose weight, their breasts will lose weight, and they, again, may have some sagging of their breasts.A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

Breast lift in an 18 year old

Thank you for your question. One of my concerns would be whether your breasts have stopped growing. If your breast size and shape has stabilized, you are healthy, and you understand the potential complications of the surgery, a breast lift would not be unreasonable for someone your age. I suggest you see one or more board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss your options further. Hope this helps. 

Breast lift

I think that it is ok as long as you are at the weight you are comfortable at.  Best to be seen in person for an evaluation.

Breast Lifts at 18-Years-Old

Having a stable breast size and weight for about 6 months would be ideal. At 18 years of age, you are legally able to make your own medical decisions. One potential concern given your young age would be future breast feeding. While the risk of being unable to breast feed after a breast lift is very low, you would have a risk of increased need to supplement with formula. During a breast lift, some of the breast ductal tissue is disrupted, and this can impact milk production. It is helpful to know that your breasts are more or less stable with your weight fluctuations. The less we can expect your breast volume to change with your weight, the more reliable your final breast volume and position will be after a breast lift.

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. This is much more common than you might think and you are certainly not alone.  As long as your breasts are stable in size and shape for six months, you can safely have this procedure.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Lift in 18 Year Old Patients

As long as your breast size and shape are relatively stable, you are bothered by their appearance, are able to understand the risks and benefits of the procedure, and are physically and emotionally able to undergo the procedure, then you are likely a candidate for the procedure.  Since you are already 18 and a legal adult, you are able to make that decision for yourself.  I recommend you consult with several local/regional plastic surgeons to discuss your goals and a plan to get you the result you desire.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Great question. There are many patients in your situation and surgery at your age and stage of life is well accepted in the appropriate situations. I included a link to the recommendations from the American Society of Plastic Surgery that outlines thier position on this topic. Briefly, the ASPS recommendation to achieve the best outcome is that surgery on teenagers is indicated when the teenager patient intiates the request, the patient has reasonable and realistic goals, and the patient is of sufficient emotional maturity. A trip to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will include a detailed history and physical examination and they can tell you what surgical options exist as well as review what are reasonable results. Good luck.

Bram Kaufman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss.   It is normal and “healthy”, to have concerns about undergoing elective breast surgery.  You will find, there is no consensus when it comes to breast lifting surgery for an 18-year-old patient;  in my opinion, it is best to individualize the care of each patient.  In my practice, for young patients like yourself, I  evaluate patients' suitability for surgery with attention to factors such as: level of patient concern in regards to her breast's appearance, mental and physical maturity, psychosocial concerns, and timing of surgery in relation to overall life circumstances…

My best suggestion: do your due diligence when it comes to selection of plastic surgeon (board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with) and learn about the pros/cons as well as the potential risks/complications associated with breast lifting surgery.  Consider "trade-offs" such as scarring  as you make your decision.
  I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.