Can I fill these teartroughs or will it look worse? (photo)

I (on bad days) have deep set rings underneath my eyes which cause this hideous sickly look. I'm only 30! It's not allergies I don't believe and it get's worse when I smile. My Dr. refuses to inject my tear troughs because he says it holds water and may may the appearance of them worse when I smile. Is they any possible what that's not correct and this could be solved? I feel like I look twenty years older all of the sudden.

Doctor Answers 5

Hollows under the eyes can be improved with fillers

Some patients have volume loss while others also can have fat pad or muscular protrusion along with volume loss.  Check with an expert Dermatologic Surgeon to see if you are a candidate for the fillers or if you need other procedures to improve the under eye appearance.

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Tear Troughs and injections

It is very difficult to see from the photo but it appears that you might need a traditional blepharoplasty to remove the fat pads under your eyes.  These fat pads are usually genetic and run in families.  Does your Mom have similar "tired-looking" eyes?  Please find a board certified physician who has a great deal in cosmetics for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Can I fill these teartroughs or will it look worse?

Its best you schedule an in-person consult to get fully evaluated, there are many different options to help eliminate the tear troughs

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS - Account Suspended
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Filler in the Tear Trough Region

It is difficult to tell from the photograph if you would benefit from fillers in the tear trough region.  Some products do produce more swelling than others.  Without examining you in person I am not able to give you more information.  It may be worth getting another opinion from an experienced injector.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Tear trough

Teazerbee, I cannot tell a thing from your photo. I would recommend you see 2-3 facial plastic specialists and get more opinions. Frequently for this problem in my office I'm doing a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty". See my web site for further information. Good luck!!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.