Would over the counter compression stockings help with post sclerotherapy staining?

I've had staining on the top of one of my thighs, after receiving 2 sclerotherapy treatments. Would wearing the over the counter compression stockings help with healing this? What degree of compression should I get (15-20 or above)?

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. Compression right after treatment (and for the next few weeks) can help prevent pigmented areas from developing. Once pigment is present, compression will not help absorb it faster. It can take up to a year for pigment to subside, although some lasers can help speed up this process. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Staining

Over the counter compression stockings will not improve the discoloration that was caused by shutting down the reticular veins.  Your body needs time to absorb these veins.  Keep these areas protected from the sun as to not increase the color.  Otherwise, some clinics offer laser machines (such as our office offers Sciton laser treatments) that will help to remove these discolorations.

Cynthia Steimle, MD
Hoffman Estates General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question. Since you did not submit a photo, it’s always best to have it checked out by a qualified physician. Compression stockings can help immediately after your treatment. Your dermatologist may offer some alternative options such as creams or other treatments. Please see your dermatologist so that he/she may recommend the best option for your skin to help remove them.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Post Sclerotherapy Staining

This is best treated with lightening creams and lasers.  Compression helps to prevent this but once its formed you need other options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Staining and compression hose.

Compression hose 20-30mmHg helps to reduce staining if worn immediately after sclerotherapy but will not help after the staining has occurred.  Most staining will improve over time.  However this is a slow process and could take up to one year.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and compression stockings

It is recommended that you wear 20-30 mm Hg compression stockings to reduce hyperpigmentation after sclerotherapy.

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Staining after sclero

Unfortunately, wearing compression hose after staining has occurred will not improve the situation.  Time is usually the best healer.  It may take up to a year for the staining to resolve, but occasionally staining can be permanent.  We have sometimes used intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments to reduce the pigment stain.

Deborah Manjoney, MD
Pewaukee Phlebologist