Will my chest go back to what it was a few days post op gynecomastia?

Had gynecomastia surgery done (lipo). The first 2-3 days post op, my chest looked completely flat and really good. The days following and currently (5 weeks post op) my chest looks quite big. Not as big pre -op but quite big. When I touch my chest it feels really hard and hurts. Is this swelling and will it go back to what it looked like the first few days post op? Any foods I should avoid?

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

It takes 3-4 months to have final result

Be patient. It takes time.  Nobody can predict whether it will look as it did 2-3 days after your surgery. Nobody other than your surgeon has seen you and how it looked.
Foods do not make any difference. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. In general, you should expect residual swelling and firm scar tissue at the 5 week time point. This will resolve in the coming months. Most patients will not see the final result for 8-12 months after surgery.
As for diet, I would avoid salty foods, as this may cause you to retain water and have increased swelling. More important than diet however is strict compliance with your post operative compression garment.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD