Should I get a breast lift or reduction? (Photo)

I've had stretch marks on the sides of my breast for I'd say about fifteen years. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at age fourteen also. I can wear a 48c bra. What should I?

Breast Lift vs. Breast Reduction

Your photo shows that you definitely would benefit from reshaping the breast. Your nipple position is low and the areolae are large. The main difference in a reduction and a lift is that with a reduction it is done for symptoms typically and breast tissue is removed. Both reshape and lift the nipple into a better position. By looking at your photo I suspect that a lift would be better to keep your anatomy proportional. The best option is to discuss your situation with a board certified plastic surgeon who does breast surgery.

Breast lift

Thank you for your question.  You appear to be a good candidate for a breast lift for improved shape.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options following a complete evaluation.  Best wishes!

Breast lift

Thank you for your question. You would definitely benefit from a breast lift, which reduces the skin envelope while reshaping the breast tissue into a more youthful and perky shape. Breast lift surgery raises and firms the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Surgery

If you feel your breasts are too large and heavy, then a reduction would be best. If you like your size, then just a lift may be needed. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift vs Breast Reduction

The main decision for you is are you satisfied with the amount of breast tissue that you have. If you are happy with the breast volume then a lift would be most appropriate. If you would like to have smaller breasts then a reduction is the best option for you. Both of these procedures are very similar. The major difference is that in a breast reduction, breast tissue is removed to make the breasts smaller. In both operations the breasts are lifted and reshaped improve the position and form.When you make the decision about breast volume, a good way to judge how large the breasts are is to do this while laying down on your back. This takes gravity out of the picture and allows the breasts to shift up on the chest similar to what a breast lift alone would do. If the breasts are still too large, consider a breast reduction. When you're standing up there is a visual illusion that the breasts are bigger than they really are. Laying down on your back gives a more realistic assessment of the true breast volume.Judging from your picture, I might suspect that a breast lift alone might get you the results that you are looking for.
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Should I get a breast lift or reduction?

Thank you for your question.  If want to lift your breasts and nipple position and have your breasts look perkier with the same size, then a breast lift would be the best option.  If you want the lift, perkiness but a smaller size, then a breast reduction would be the appropriate option.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Brrast Lift

You appear to have asymmetric sagging breasts with large Areolas. I think a Breast Lift with a small reduction in the large side with reduction of the Areolas may give you the best result. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

Breast lift and reduction are really the same operation. In a reduction more tissue is removed.

Judging by your photo, which is a little cropped, you could definitely benefit from a breast lift. What size do you prefer? If you want to be smaller, then your lift becomes a reduction. If you like your size but just want your breasts back "up where they belong" then you should consider a breast lift. You might also consider implants to restore upper pole fullness. A breast lift alone or a breast reduction are good options to treat sagging, but are not so good at restoring lost volume in the upper poles of your breasts. You can view some examples of each operation on my website.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon and let him/her get a breast lift or a reduction

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation .

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD