Breast augmentation before children?

Hi, I'm interested in getting a breast augmentation done, but I haven't had children yet. We're not positive it will happen soon, but, there is a chance that it could happen in as early as a year, or a few years down the road. Also, I very much want to breastfeed. Should I hold off on the augmentation procedure until after I have children? This is something I very much want to do, and the thought of waiting so many years to do it is disappointing. I'd love to hear considerations, pros/cons.

Planning for a Breast Augmentation and Family

Typically, it is best to wait until after you have children to have a procedure such as a breast augmentation. This is due to the changes that potentially occur in the size and shape of breasts from pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you choose to have a breast augmentation before having a child, you may be eligible for a revision surgery. Be sure you understand all of your options and potential timeline of procedures. By waiting until you are done growing your family, you will receive the best and most long-lasting results. Please speak with your board-certified plastic surgeon for a personalized consultation

Breast augmentation before children

If you do not believe you will become pregnant for a few years, it is reasonable to consider a breast augmentation.  There is no compelling reason why you could not breast feed. You should bear in mind that you may need a revisional operation once you are done having children, depending on how much weight you gain over the years and how much your soft tissue stretched.  If they do stretch a great deal and you have considerable droop, you may need a secondary revisional procedure at a later date. I usually encourage my patients to complete their plans for family raising before they have surgery.

Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy

Breast augmentation can be performed either before or after pregnancy. If you're considering becoming pregnant in the next 6-9 months then it would certainly be wise to delay the surgery until after pregnancy. Similarly, if a woman has just had a baby, I generally recommend waiting until 4-6 months after breast feeding to have the surgery. Its best to wait this length of time make sure the breasts/milk glands have settled down after breast feeding.
Breast augmentation usually does not have an effect on the ability to breast feed.
Pregnancy normally does have an effect on the shape of the breast. This is true whether or not an implant is in place.In my practice about half of the women who are getting breast implants have already had children and rest anticipate having children in the future. Either option is acceptable - it just becomes personal preference.
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Breast augmentation before children?

I recommend to patients who are actively family planning to wait until after children. If you plan on waiting for a while you could opt to have your implants placed now. The ability to breast feed is generally not an issue after having implants.

Breast Feeding Post BA

Thank you for your question. Ideally, you should discuss this in detail with your chosen Plastic Surgeon during a consultation so that you can be sure to cover all details and concerns for your procedure. Many women with breast implants breast feed with no issue. This can depend on your existing anatomy as well as chosen incision site. The breast may grow and change considerably during pregnancy and breast feeding so there is a chance that you will require additional procedures after childbearing to lift or otherwise improve the appearance of the breasts. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your goals and next steps.
All the best

BA before children

Impossible to tell the effects of pregnancy on individual persons breasts. I would think it is worth trying and would also consult with both your plastic surgeon and OB doctor. Most women can breast feed with implants. The incision site, specifically the periareolar incision may cause blocked milk ducts and decrease your ability to breast feed though in my experience most will still be able. The other incision choices should not affect your ability to breast feed. Remember not all women can breast feed successfully with or without implants.

Breast augmentation before children??

Good question.  I tell my patients that if they're likely to get pregnant within a short time period to wait for breast augmentation surgery (ie 12-18 months).  If on the other hand they're less certain about the pregnancy and feel that they would benefit emotionally, etc from their augmentation procedure, then it's okay to proceed with the understanding that after a pregnancy or two they may develop ptosis and size changes requiring a secondary procedure (ie uplift or change of implant size).  It ends up being a personal decision for you to make after discussion with your partner and your plastic surgeon.   You will probably enjoy the video above which discusses my preferences for choosing the final implant size for my patients at the time of surgery.Best wishes and good luck.... Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation before children?

Thank you for your question and I appreciate your dilemma.  Because of the unpredictability of breast changes that occurs with pregnancy I would have your breast augmentation performed after your children unless you plan on waiting for a few years before starting your family.  In that situation, and because of your desire to not wait years to have your surgery, have the augmentation now so that you have the opportunity to enjoy  your breasts prior to pregnancy. Hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

Breast augmentation is one of the most frequent procedures requested by women to help with self esteem and improved appearance in clothing.   With regards to future pregnancy, breast augmentation shouldn't interfere with breast feeding.   Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss your options.   Many women undergo breast augmentation before starting their families.

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation before children

Thank you for your question. It is extremely common for women to have a breast augmentation before or between having children. The procedure typically has little to no impact on your ability to breastfeed. Your breasts may change shape or size with pregnancy or breastfeeding with or without implants and require some type of additional procedure once you're done having children. Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to further discuss your options. Hope this helps. Best wishes!