18 year old female considering rhinoplasty, chin implants, and cheek augmentation (implants)? (Photo)

Would you recommend cheek injections or cheek implants? My cheekbones are very high, but I would like a more exotic look. Also, do you think it would be possible for me to obtain a similar nose shape to the one I included in my photos? I would like to create more space between my nose and upper lip.

Considering Facial Plastic Surgery

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. You appear to be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure to refine your nose for better overall facial harmony. The dorsal bump can be reduced and the tip can be refined to better fit your other facial features. Also, based on the photos you provided, you appear to have a deviated septum. An in-person consultation with a board-certified specialist can confirm this for you with a quick evaluation. If this is the case, septoplasties are commonly combined with rhinoplasty procedures in order to consolidate down time.

I agree that you are likely a good candidate for chin augmentation to enhance your facial profile. A small implant can be placed at the same time as your rhinoplasty procedure. In my practice, I like to use 3-D digital photos in order to communicate realistic surgical outcomes for rhinoplasties and chin augmentations. With regards to midface volume loss, I recommend starting with a dermal filler such as Juvederm Voluma or Restylane Lyft. If you like the result with fillers, then you can consider more permanent options such as fat transfer or cheek implants. For more information on these procedures, please see a board-certified specialist.

Cheeks and Nose

You are going to have to define what you mean by an exotic cheek look. I suspect you mean augmentation back along the zygomatic arches as well as higher cheek bones. This is going to be best done by a special cheek implant design to create this type of midface effect. You can not increase the distance between your lip and nose but a reductive rhinoplasty may help that appear to be so.

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a nasal tip deprojection to decrease the overall size of your nose and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  A chin implant can help balance your face and result in a more contoured jawline.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

18-year-old female considering rhinoplasty, chin implants and cheek augmentation

From the photographs presented, a rhinoplasty can help improve the nose and refine it by taking down the dorsal hump, and reduction of the hanging columella. The overall nose can be de-projected as well. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience producing natural results, not exotic results. Placement of a chin implant will help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose from the side profile.  Temporary fillers can be placed in the cheeks to see how you like it. For more information and many examples of rhinoplasty in combination with a chin implant, please see the link and the video below 

Nose

hannahmh, be conservative and see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and has decades of experience. I like the idea of doing your nose an possibly your chin but would hold off on the cheeks until you have healed from the other two. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek injections or cheek implants?

Rhinoplasty is a very common procedure at 18, however cheek implants are not. Consultation for rhinoplasty with computer simulation will allow you to try out changes and see how they fit your features. Cheek implants at 18 is a bit of a risk as your face will continue to mature and you perceptions might change. The injections are a safer bet.