Ruptured Implant After Mammogram?

My implant ruptured when I had a mammogram done. I need to get this fixed but due to a divorce my credit score went down the drain. I am looking for a dr that might do in house financing can anyone give me some names. I'm in a great deal of pain

Doctor Answers 11

Ruptured Implant After Mammogram?

I'm obviously very sorry for what has happened.  There are usually at least some costs associated with redoing this surgery but they can be minimized.  The implants themselves are guaranteed for life so you should be able to get a replacement implant (or implants) at no cost.  And your surgeon may be able to help you do this in the most economical manner.  As a last resort, they may be university-associated clinic that can help facilitate the surgery at minimal expense.  Regardless of what you ultimately decide I would suggest contacting your own PS as a first step.

Good luck,

Dr. E

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Breast implants carry a good warranty.

The manufacturers of implants guarantee the implant for life. Replacement costs up to a certain amount are provided for 10 years. Your plastic surgeon will be able to walk you through the specifics when he determines when and who manufactured your implants.


Vincent N. Zubowicz, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Ruptured implant after mammogram

Implants have a lifetime warranty so the  implant itself will not cost you anything. The companies even will allow you to replace the other side, which is worth considering if your implants are old. Depending upon when your surgery was performed you also still may be within the time period when the company will pay around $1200 for the surgeon and facility fees. Rarely an insurance company might also pay for the removal, but not replacement, of a ruptured implant. Your Plastic surgeon's office shuld be able to help you figure things out. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Ruptured Implant

It is most unfortunate that your implant failed after mammogram.  The good news is your warranty will cover most of the expenses.  Contact your surgeon to start a claim.  The implant company will replace the implants at any age.  However, if they fail within the first ten years, they write you a check to cover almost all of the cost of replacement.  Good Luck!

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

Implant Rupture After Mammogram

Although a rupture of an implant after a mammogram is very uncommon, it is possible.  If the implant is saline, it is quite easy to make the diagnosis.  If the implants are less than ten years old, the replacement should be covered under the manufacturer warranty.  Both Mentor and Allergan offer lifetime replacement of the implant and up to $2,400 reimbursement for surgical costs for saline and $3,500 for silicone.  Ask your original surgeon about the warranty of your implants.

Martin O`Toole, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Ruptured breast implant

Sorry to hear both about your ruptured breast implant and your poor credit score.  I do not know anyone that does in house financing, but there are some companies that specialize in helping patients like you.  These include and no patient left behind.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

Ruptured implant after mammogram...

Unfortunately they can occur.  You should call your local surgeons to see if any could accommodate your situation.  Warranties may help defray costs as well.  If your original surgeon is close by, consider seeing him/her again as most doctors try to help their old patients. 

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Rupture implant?

A ruptured implant if the implant is not too old should be able to be replaced under warranty. Best to touch base with your doctor.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Ruptured Implant Should Have Warranty

Depending on how old your implant is and the manufacturer, their should be some level of warranty coverage on the device.  Your first step is to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Go to the American Society of Plastic Surgery website and search by your zip code.  This should give you a list to choose from.  The surgeon can then examine you and check to see if there is any warranty coverage.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Ruptured Implant after Mammogram?

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Although I cannot provide you with specific names, Iwould suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
 Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures performed. In regards to financing, you will need to check with each specific practice.

 Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,502 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.