Is this wound treatable without removing implant? (Photo)

I had surgery in mid March out of state. A few weeks ago and small whole opened and grew to a bit bigger than it is in the pic. My surgeon advised that I use wet to dry dressings, and that has reduced the size of the wound. I saw a local surgeon to get the spot cultured for infection. They were negative. However her opinion was that implant could possibly be in risk of becoming exposed and should be removed. So what are the chances of the wound just healing without more surgery?

See your surgeon

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.

Good luck!

Implant exposure

In general, an exposed implant, or one that is in contact with full thickness eschar and dead skin, should be removed.  If exposed, the implant is likely colonized with bacteria and will ultimately most likely fail.  In some instances, removal washout and implant repalcement with a new implant may be indicated - BUT this is something that absolutely has to be decided by the surgeon - based on experience.  Implant exchange is not without risk and may lead to a long extensive and expensive course - that despite all efforts - may fail.  Sometimes it is wise to remove the implant and allow things to heal before going any further.  My advice is to see an ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  This is your breast!!!!

Joshua Lampert, MD,FACS

Is this wound treatable without removing implant?

Sorry, but the implant really should be removed.   Unfortunately, the breast implant is already exposed and some of the overlying tissue is not healthy.  Best to communicate directly with your plastic surgeon and arrange for intervention ASAP.  Again, sorry about the complication you are experiencing.  Best wishes.

From your photo, you have a serious complication that needs immediate attention from a board certified plastic surgeon. I would not delay in seeking treatment. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to see your wound healing difficulties.  Based on the degree of tissue loss seen, as well as the possible implant exposure along the lower center portion of the picture, I think it would be wise to remove the implant as it is likely colonized and will result in an infection.  Additionally the loss of pressure from the implant may limit any further tissue loss to your breast and improve the speed of healing.  Best wishes.

Open wound post aug

After looking at your photo I would venture to say that the implant will need to be removed.The area of necrosis is too large.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon