What should I do about my surgical scars? (photos)

I had a breast augmentation surgery done in October of 2015. I had an areola reduction on my right breast. For some reason I ended up with these nasty raised scars. There's obviously some nerve damage going on as I have not gotten the feeling back in my nipples. From the time I got my surgery done I have used scar away gel, bio oil, & maderma every single day. It's disappointing after spending over $6000 for my surgery. What would you recommend I do next for my scars that won't cost a fortune!

Surgical Scars

Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.

Keloid scars

This looks more like keloid scarring or severe hypertrophic scarring - laser and /or a steroid injection into the scar can help

Biology of wound healing

This scarring is not a technical issue, it is the result of your wound healing biology.  Over a period of many years it should fade and soften.  In the meantime Skinmedica make a scar gel that contains human growth factors which works well.

Trouble with Scars

Scars can take at least one year to fade. During this time, you must protect them from the sun. Even through a bathing suit, a good deal of sunlight can reach the skin and cause damage. Wear a sunscreen with a Skin Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30 at all times when in the sun. Be extremely careful if areas of your breast skin have reduced sensitivity.At times scarring can be difficult with the augmentation procedure, where they become thicker. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Hypertrophic scars

Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your scars.  You should return to your plastic surgeon to discuss further management.  You are less than a year out from surgery.  Scars can take up to 2 years to be in their "final state".  It is not too late to intervene and a trial of steroid injections is a great first step.

Hypertrophic Scar

Thank you for your question and photos. Steroid injections could be a good first step to reduce your scarring. If surgically revising the scar, reducing the tension on incision as much as possible then apply silicone sheeting when healed to further reduce scar development. I recommend that you make an appointment to discuss options with your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your hypertrophic scarring.  Based on the timing since surgery I would recommend initially pursuing Kenalog steroid injections to try and soften/flatten the scars.  If after a series of three treatments you do not see any significant changes in appearance you may require a surgical scar revision with early and often follow-up for additional treatment to minimize the chances of recurrence. Hope this helps.

Surgical Scars

The scars can be revised in an office setting.  Since your scars are still maturing, kenalog injections could help with healing.  See your surgeon regarding scar management.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

What should I do about my surgical scars?

Hi there, unfortunately you have hypertrophic scars. You can speak with your surgeon regarding treatment. He/ she will most likely recommend a series of kenalog injections to soften the scar. Hope you obtain the treatment you require. Best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I am sorry to hear/see above the hypertrophic scars you are experiencing. I think that your best bet would be scar revision surgery; careful excision/closure followed by the use of silicone sheeting and/or use of intralesional steroid injection as needed will likely be effective. Best wishes.