I have had fab results from 2nd Kybella treatment. Need to have Kybella a week early to travel out of the country for 3 months.

I have had fabulous results with Kybella. I am going out of the country for 3 months and would like to have my 3rd treatment a week early (at 3 weeks post instead of the standard 4). I do not have any residual swelling or nodules. If I have the treatment a week early, would it still target new fat and would I still get results? I know the general rule is 4-6 weeks apart, but with being gone for 3 months I can't make that happen. Thank you in advance.

Kybella can be repeated after 3 weeks

This is only a recommendation to standardize the treatment. If you were trying to fit in your 3rd treatment, a week early will not cause any harm or damage. There are still fat cells that can be targeted to improve the contour and shape of the chin and jawline. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella at three week intervals

Thank you for your question Tirajwilson. Kybella is a great treatment to improve the double chin and many patients love their results. In the pivotal studies treatments were done every four weeks. This allows the area to heal completely before the next treatment. Now we are waiting six to eight weeks between treatments to allow for even more healing. The safety of treatments at three week intervals has not been studied so we don't know the answer to whether treatments at three week intervals would be okay. With my patients we wait at least six weeks between treatments. If there is a scheduling conflict waiting longer should not be an issue, it would just take longer to see the final results. Please speak with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Early interval treatment with Kybella?

The answer is-it depends.  You mention that you do not have swelling or nodules.  If the area feels soft and there is no significant induration (firmness) or inflammation then you might be able to have the treatment one week early.  However, I find that the biggest improvement is seen from week 4 through the 8th week and you might not need that additional treatment.  And the FDA label indicates that at least one month intervals are recommended- so injecting it earlier would be considered  "off label". 
So the safest course would be to wait and follow the recommendations of the FDA which they arrived at based on the approval study.  Kybella is new and most physicians do not have a long experience with it.  "Off label" use of a product is not wrong when in the physician's judgement and experience it is ok for the patient and the patient is informed.  It really depends on the judgement and experience of your physician. But I would probably wait and follow the recommendations of the FDA at this time, until more experience is gained with Kybella and earlier injection intervals.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Stick with the plan

I would wait rather than go early.  You may get affect from the previous treatment 6-8 weeks later.  So the third treatment might not be necessary and could actually cause damage if its more than you need.  I would advise you to stick with your injectors plan.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella is fabulous!

Hello Ritajwilson,

So happy to hear that you are loving your Kybella. As long as you feel the swelling has gone down, and your provider feels the same then there is no reason to stop you from receiving your third Kybella treatment.

Enjoy your travels!
Dr Faraz

Kybella treatment

That time frame will be fine for your next treatment. Kybella is a great treatment option for the "double chin". 

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella Treament in 3 Week Intervals

As long as you feel healed from the previous Kybella treatment, it would be appropiate to repeat your kybella injection 3 weeks after your last treatment.  Have a great time on your trip.

That time interval should be fine.  Glad you had a a great result.  The treatment can be very effective as it has been in your case.

Kybella sessions

That is great, I am happy to hear you have been pleased with your results from Kybella. It is okay to get the Kybella treatment 1 week earlier than what you initially planned. It will not negatively affect your results. Have a great trip!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Not essential to wait

There is no risk in getting the treatment earlier, however, if you wait till after your return you may need less  kybella injected as the swelling subsides and continuous removal of the fat by the body shrinks the area. Plus you won't have swelling while you travel. However, if you are eager to have your treatment, there is no contraindication and you will still have great results.
beast of luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician