Do I need coolsculpting or a skin tightening procedure done for my stomach area? (photos)

Do I need cool sculpting or a skin tightening procedure done for my stomach area? Also, is there a good fix for stretch marks? I gained 70 lbs with pregnancy and I have them everywhere :( 3.5 years post baby.

Cool sculpting or skin tightening?

Dear Nicholb3, Cool sculpting would be an excellent option for you given you have a healthy height and weight however I do not think you would be happy with how the skin would look following the procedure. The device is excellent for reduction in fat but does not tighten the skin. You could seek noninvasive devices for skin tightening but a surgical intervention would be the best option if that is something you would consider. Always seek opinions at a board certified practice. Best of Luck 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Can't Affect Loose Skin

CoolSculpting can certainly remedy some of the lingering fat you have on your abdomen, but it won't have any effect on leftover skin. In this case, you may want to consider a nonsurgical skin tightening procedure, or even a mini tummy tuck. As for stretch marks, they may be surgically removed (which often happens during tummy tuck surgery) or remedied by laser treatments or microneedling. You have a range of good options. Be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to get an accurate picture of what you can do for your abdomen. 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and pelleve

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

Our office uses Pelleve which is a great radio frequency device for skin tightening.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting, Fraxel, Thermage for fat reduction, stretch marks, and skin tightening

I would consult a board certified dermatologist for a combination of treatments.  I would recommend Thermage for the abdomen first to tighten the skin followed by Coolsculpting.  Fraxel with the 1550 wavelength or eMatrix should reduce these stretch marks.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting/skin tightening

You could probably do Coolsculpting as you have some excess fat but it will not address the excess skin. You could potentially have a non-invasive skin tightening procedure like Venus , but the results are not long lasting. Thermi may also be an option. Surgically, a mini tummy tuck with some liposuction would give good correction

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting vs skin tightening

You look like you have a combination of issues and would be an excellent candidate for both procedures together. Having small pockets of unwanted fat on an otherwise fit body is an ideal scenario for coolsculpting.  However, due to pregnancy you have some skin laxity as well.  In order to improve your skin quality you will need to do something such as a noninvasive skin tightening treatment to address that issue as well.  Good luck with your treatments!

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Coolsculpting or Ultherapy

Hard to tell exactly from your photos, but based on what I can see, you look to be an excellent  candidate for both CoolSculpting and a non-surgical skin tightening device.  In my practice we use both Coolsculpting to treat localized fat pockets as seen in your photos and Ultherapy (focalized ultrasound) used to treat abdominal skin laxity, improving collagen levels to lift and improve skin quality.  This is a very popular combination...you avoid surgery and have no downtime and still get a great result.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tighten Skin And Melt Fat With ThermiTight

Looking at your pictures it seems that your biggest issue is loose belly skin. You actually have minimal fat. If you are looking for a non-surgical option then I think something like ThermiTight would be appropriate for you. It uses RF energy to melt fat and can also tighten skin. We use it with great success in patients much like yourself who are experiencing these issues following pregnancy. Please make sure you see an experienced provider for an in-person consultation and evaluation. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

You would benefit more from skin tightening

Judging by your photos, you have a fair amount of skin laxity on your abdomen with minimum fat.   Coolsculpting, ultrashape, sculpsure, liposonix, and liposonix only work to remove fat cells, they really do little if anything for the skin.   You may be happy with coolsculpting on your love handles/flank/lower back areas;  these are the areas women tend to accumulate fat after childbirth and the skin is thicker with more elasticity.  You may want to try a radiofrequency machine such as Venus legacy or Trusculpt on your abdomen, but you will need 3-8 sessions ideally to see results and they will not be as good as a tummy tuck.   A full Tummy Tuck would address the extra fat, extra skin and muscle seperation.  An Abdominoplasty would restore your body most closely to its pre-pregnancy state.  Two downsides, long scar but well hidden,  and a 2 week recovery time. 

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Both fat reduction and skin tightening need to be addressed

Hi nicholb3,

Many women find themselves with both loose skin and some excess fat post pregnancy. It seems to me from the photos you have provided that your best approach is to address both skin tightening and fat reduction. CoolSculpting is great for areas of stubborn fat but does not help with tightening. In our clinic, we would typically recommend a series of Exilis treatments as this technology can address both fat and loose skin in the same session. Exilis is a radio frequency device that delivers energy to specific layers of the skin to 1) stimulate collagen for firmer skin (helping with tightening), 2) destroy fat cells permanently. As far as stretch marks, they can be improved with laser treatments such as VBEAM (red stretch marks) and Fraxel re:store (white,silvery stretch marks). Often we combine medical micro needling with one of the laser options for best results. My advice is to look for a specialist who has a range of devices to choose from so that she/he is selecting the best approach to helping you achieve your goals. 

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon