Big hole in the middle of my tummy tuck incision (Photo)

Ok I had a drain free tummy tuck here in TN 4 weeks ago first I got a ceroma I had to wear a very tight faja and it got better now I have several stitches gone and I have a hole bigger than a quarter ,I wanted to travel in 6 week out side the country but I need to know how long it will take to heal or if I can travel even if not heal completely

Tummy Tuck Healing

Thank you for your question and your photos.  I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty.  You have full-thickness necrosis of that area of your incision.  This is going to require aggressive local wound care.  You should followup with your operative plastic surgeon immediately.  This will realistically require some continued dressing changes and will require delayed healing.  I am not sure travel outside of the country is a wise idea until you have this problem under control.  Best of luck.

Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

Wound necrosis

The edges of your incisions are dead and the sutures between the areas are only being held by dead tissue.  The dead tissues need to be cut away(debrided) and then the wound will open further.  It will have to be packed and cleaned routinely.  I am afraid that it will take a lot more time than you think for this area to heal and you may need to delay your travel plans.  In the end, once you heal and mature the scar, in order to have a reasonable long term result, you will likely need to have a revisional surgery performed.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. I am sorry to see your wound healing issues after tummy tuck surgery and hope that your surgeon has given you appropriate care instructions.  These wounds will take time to fully heal, as they will do so from the inside-out.  Assuming no further issues, they will either be completely, or nearly, healed in 6 weeks and you should be able to travel out of the country.  Talk to your plastic surgeon and voice your concerns, they can help make recommendations to speed along your healing.  Best wishes

Delayed wound healing

It looks like you are having some delayed wound healing after your tummy tuck. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon to help you deal with this. Once it heals you maybe a candidate for scar revision. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Big hole in the middle of my tummy tuck incision

It is NOT a hole - It is wound dehiscence wth necrosis! It will take 3 to 6 months to heal. I recommend to delay your travel plans. BUT best to discuss in person with your surgeon. 

Hole post tummy

You have a little area of skin necrosis and this area should be debrided and once this area is cleaned up you should be fine.The sooner the better.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Best to discuss with your operating surgeon. Looks like you are experiencing some delayed wound healing and this wound may need to be addressed with wound care and/or debridements to help it heal completely. Good luck!

Thank you for your question and photos.  i am sorry to hear you're having problems following your tummy tuck.  It appears that you have some break down along the incision which can happen following a tummy tuck, whether there have been drains or not.  By four weeks, this will most likely continue to heal on its own if you keep the area clean and covered with a small bandage.  Some surgeons have preferences on what type of dressing or bandages to use, so you should talk to you plastic surgeon about their preference.  Problems like this typically do not get infected and it would be safe to travel, but you might need to take some supplies with you for proper care of the open area.  You should coordinate this with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon