Can a Nasal Tip Be Changed from a Ball Shape Back to Its Natural Form?

I had a rhinoplasty where my tip was altered and shaped like a ball and it doesn't suit my face as well as my natural tip did. Can it be fixed to look more natural-shaped?

Rhinoplasty surgery to fix tip

Dear caught_in_the_rain,

• The ball tip is likely due to the way the cartilages are oriented
  • It is something that can be fixed, and you should see a revision rhinoplasty expert because this problem requires expertise and a level of comfort inside the nose

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Improving tip aesthetics in revision rhinoplasty

Yes, but make sure you chose a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty.  Some techniques used to refine the tip in primary rhinoplasty can decrease it's support leading to a pinched tip or an unaesthetic tip.  Grafting with cartilage from your septum or ear will likely be necessary to give your tip a more aesthetic shape.

Lucy Barr, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

The nasal tip

The shape of the nasal tip is defined by the underlying cartilage, and changes in the cartilage will change the appearance of tip.  It is likely that a revision rhinoplasty could alter the shape of your nasal tip, and it is possible that what you regard as a “more natural tip” could be achieved.  The key will be to clearly set out your desired change with the surgeon so your goals can be met by the surgery. 

You may also have to accept that the previous surgery may limit what is possible to achieve with a second surgery, and the surgeon be able to guide you as to what is going to be possible.

Jeremy Hunt .

Revision rhinoplasty is much harder than primary rhinoplasty.

It's unfortunate that you're tip turned out the way that it did. Restoration depends on what was done at the time of the first operation in what exists in the tip now. This might be a very difficult thing to do.

Tip revision in rhinoplasty

As long as it has been a while since your surgery (>9 mos) and your doctor is sure there is no swelling involved, and you still are unhappy with the tip, then, yes, a revision can be done to improve the tip aesthetics. However, you need to wait at least 9 months from the original procedure and frankly a year is better. Sit down with your surgeon and have him review with you what he feels the reason is for the lack of definition and what would be involved to correct it. Of all procedures in plastic surgery, revisions are more common in rhinoplasty and even the world's most accomplished rhinoplasty specialists all do revisions of their own work from time to time.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Secondary rhinoplasty

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the results of your rhinoplasty. The answer to your question is that "yes" there are things that can be done to change your tip, hopefully to the way you would like it. It all starts with a very open and honest discussion with your surgeon. Communication is key. I can't say that everything can be reversed but there are certainly options available. Good luck.

Secondary rhinoplasty questions

It is hard to judge if you would benefit from a secondary rhinoplasty.  If you need more definition of the nasal tip then a tip graft or columellar strut graft may be beneficial.  

Revision Rhinoplasty for Nasal Tip

Hi Caught,

The nasal tip can be changed with revision rhinoplasty.  It will likely entail the use of cartilage grafts taken from inside your nasal septum or from your ear.  Depending on the thickness of your skin and the underlying cartilage support, your tip may be changed to more of your liking.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty to return nose to previous form.

Revision rhinoplasty to return nose to previous form can be done. I would need to see pictures of what your nose looks like now and before

Without pictures or an exam, it is a bit difficult to give advice.  The degree of bulbous nature and the quality of skin envelope will determine the feasibility of this to some extent as well as techniques employed during the primary rhinoplasty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA