Nasal Scarring, Breathing Problems, Snoring; Is Nose Surgery the Answer?

When I was 12 I broke my nose and had surgery to repair it. I am now 48 and having trouble sleeping (my husband tells me I snore...a lot...and wonders if I have sleep apnea). An ENT I went to told me there was significant scarring and I might be affecting my breathing. I don't really notice anything, except, like I said, while sleeping. Will "reaming out" my nasal passage, as the doctor suggested, possible help with my nighttime breathing?

Causes of difficulty breathing

Difficulty breathing most commonly occurs form one of the followings:
1. Enlarged turbinates -- sausage like structures that humidify the air that can enlarge from allergies.
2. Narrowed Internal or external valves, structures in your nose can collapse when breathing in reducing air flow. Correction requires cartilage grafts to help open the nose at the areas of collapse.
3. Deviated Septum
4. Polyps
5. Broken nasal bones restricting the airway
An examination and/or CT scan can help with the diagnosis.

In your case it appears that the bones may have been pushed in during the fracture and would need an operation to be corrected.

Best of Luck,
An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

Surgery to Correct Scarring, Breathing Problems, Snoring

If you ENT told you that you have nasal scarring surgery would help your breathing obstruction. There are also tests to determine if you have sleep apnea. After the correct diagnosis is made treatment recommendations can be evaluated.

Damage from a Broken Nose Can Effect Your Nighttime Breathing

There are many reasons that can affect your breathing while sleep.  You would need a full examination to ensure that the nose is the most likely cause.

If the nose was the reason for your breathing problems, then correcting the damage would improve your breathing.  Most likely, the fracture caused the septum, the cartilage that separates the right and left nasal passageway, to deviate to either the right, left or both sides to clog to nasal passageway.  Correcting the deviation of your septum can significantly improve your breathing.

Not only have I preformed this procedure successfully on many patients, I recently had my deviated septum correct.  I am very please with my result.  I wrote a blog about my experience that you might helpful.  I have attached a link if interested.