I'm a week post gynecomastia surgery and my nipples are still puffy but not sure if it is due to swelling? (Photo)

I had liposuction of the chest. I was told the surgeon made an incision also on the areolas but found nothing to excise. That's sounds confusing to me. Why cut the area if you won't excise any gland?? A week post up now and looks as if nothing was done. Chest looks flat now but I'm scared because both nipples still look very puffy or maybe they are swollen? They are not as puffy as preop but still very puffy as if nothing was done. I wanted flat nipples. Am I over reacting?

Puffy Nipples One Week After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi jferrer2510,

At one week you are very early on the healing curve.  You still have bruising on your chest which just demonstrates how you are still in the beginning phases of healing.  That being said, swelling does gradually go down, residual tissue does not. 

At this time, you just need to wait until you are farther out from surgery to know how much is due to swelling.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Too early to judge outcome

It will take six months for all of the swelling to go down.  At one week it is expected to have swelling of the nipples.

Puffy nipplrs

Don't worry.This will go down in time.It could take several weeks.Just be patient.You may want to massage them to spped up the resolutioon of the edema

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Nipples Post Surgery

You are very early in your post operative recovery. Most of the swelling will subside over 3 months period. If you had Pseudo- Gynecomastia then the liposuction alone should correct the problem. If you had true Gynecomastia then excision needs to be performed. Wait till the swelling subsides to make a judgment. By 6 weeks you should have a good idea.

Good luck!

I'm a week post gynecomastia surgery and my nipples are still puffy but not sure if it is due to swelling?

Best to discuss at this very EARLY stage the result with your chosen surgeon. ONLY 1 week most likely swelling, but by 3 months you will see if residual tissue vs swelling... Good Luck.