Regular tummy tuck vs extended tummy tuck? (Photo)

I'm 6'0 f & 180 lbs two kids. I'm having a tummy tuck with Dr.Zayas at Evolution MD. I'm not sure if my love handles are gonna be gone with a regular tummy tuck .Do you think I need a extended tummy tuck?

Need more photos

It is difficult to tell what kind of tummy tuck you need based on the photo you have provided - mini vs full vs extended or not.  Please include sitting photos and profile photos too with you tummy relaxed.  When choosing a plastic surgeon for you tummy tuck make sure they show you at least 6 views from under the breast to above knee area with front, quarter turn, profile, back, sitting front and profile views. Also, make sure the photos are clear and there are at least 30 photos to review.  Finally have the plastic surgeon show you someone who looks like you and see if you like the results.

Tummy tuck

The answer to your question depends upon the feel of your skin. If the skin is loose on your hips, extending the incision to remove this skin will give you a tighter look. If you have fat with good elasticity (i.e. recoil) , then liposuction may allow a tighter look without the extra scar. Sometimes words like extended or lipo will result in added costs which are sometimes necessary to make you happy. I believe you should always check your plastic surgeons credentials. Make sure he or she is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Regular Tummy Tuck vs. Extended Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to determine what would be your best procedure.  Be sure to check the credentials of your "plastic surgeon" to see if they are certified by the only American Board of Medical Specialities that certifies plastic surgeons - The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Furthermore, you should see before and after cases of the plastic surgeon that show both the extended and regular tummy tuck with flank liposuction. 

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Choose again

As other surgeons have stated on this page, you need to make sure your surgeon is truly a PLASTIC SURGEON. In south florida and elsewhere throughout the US, there are general surgeons, Oral surgeons, ENT's, dermatologists, you name it portraying to the public that they are plastic surgeons. They aren't, any properly trained plastic surgeon will be happy to show you their credentials, not a bunch of phony certificates that don't say plastic surgery. In regards to your procedure, lipoabdominoplasty is a standard procedure for fully trained plastic surgeons. Find one, they will better serve you. 

Tummy tuck

Most plastic surgeons will combine liposuction to the hip areas along with a full tummy tuck to appropriately address the area you have mentioned. Make sure your surgeon is actually trained as a plastic surgeon and that he/she understands you would like those areas addressed. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Regular TT versus extended?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Unfortunately without an in-depth discussion as to your goal results, and an examination of your tissues, it is difficult to offer definite advice but with a regular TT the love handles/waist region is not fully addressed as with an extended TT.  Some patients prefer the shorter incision of a regular TT but these patients would most likely benefit from added liposuction if they want to reduce their waist circumference.  Hope this helps.

Regular tummy tuck vs extended tummy tuck?

Since you have already chosen your Surgeon- it's seems counter productive to be inquiring at this point. Best to take it up with your Operating Surgeon. If you are still unsure- perhaps- additional in person evaluations may be in order. My opinion- just from your single photo- is extended may serve you better.

Extended or traditional tummy tuck

I would advise you to seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon.  The surgeon you mentioned is not board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Don't be duped by the phony boards that some surgeons come up with to appear legitimate. This is one of the real problems in plastic surgery right now. If you want to know if your surgeon is board certified by the proper board, go to the American Board of Plastic Surgery website and do an inquiry. If your surgeon is not listed there, he or she is not board-certified.  Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Will and extended Tummy Tuck take care of my love handles?

Hello Naples239,

An extended tummy tuck simply means that the incision will extend beyond the front portion of the abdomen, around to the side hip area or even farther.

Your picture is no substitute for a physical exam but it looks to me that you may be carrying some extra weight along your posterior hips, above the buttock.  This contributes to your "love handles," the width of your waits and posterior flank fullness. 

If your skin is of good quality, some liposuction in the posterior area will go a long way to contouring your figure.  I would do that first with you positioned in the face down position.  Once you are turned to the back lying position, it will be clear how much additional length needs to be added to your TT incision.  I don't think too much but probably over to where you can feel the prominence of your hip bone.

Meet with you surgeon and again to discuss your goals- it is the only way to define clear expectation and a satisfying result.

Good luck!

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

A full tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose and excess skin to provide a tightened abdomen area. An extended tummy tuck also treats the skin and adipose tissue of the flank and/or lower back area. Sometimes, liposuction surgery alone suffices; for other patients, an extended tummy tuck is necessary. I have found, that for most patients who really want to improve their waistline ( "muffin top" or "love handle" areas) , extended tummy tuck surgery is necessary.  Much will depend on physical examination characteristics such as skin elasticity and specific patient's goals/expectations. Ultimately, it is best to discuss your overall goals with your surgeon to decide what your best option.

In other words, it will be very important, to communicate your goals/expectations directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror and possibly with the help of goal photographs, prior to proceeding. In other words, make sure that you are both on the "same page". Best wishes.