My problem is getting someone to remove the implant. Can you help?

I had a saline implant placed in my left breast in 2006 in another state. The implant is leaking and has broken through the skin at the bottom of my breast and slowly leaking out onto my stomach. I went to the er and they said it need removed asap I cannot find a plastic surgeon to help me. They say go back where you got it and that is financially impossible and also I would have no insurance in another state. Can you steer me on where to call for aid?

Doctor Answers 3

Exposed saline implant

All the suggestions are valid. I know of a patient who simply punctured their implant with a small sharp object, deflated it and pulled it out. I don't recommend it, better to go to the ER.

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

Breast implant - needs to find a surgeon

Thank you for asking about your breast implant.
  • The advice you were given is correct - you do need prompt treatment.
  • If you have insurance, contact a plastic surgeon on your insurance panel.
  • If you do not have insurance, go to a teaching center hospital or your county hospital for care.
  • If you have funds for the surgery, and your surgeon was a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, I suggest you contact your surgeon and ask him to call a colleague in Naples for you so you can be seen and treated.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Implant eroding through skin

If the implant has eroded through the skin, it needs to be removed as soon as possible. If you do not have the funds to pay for it privately you should seek care at a county hospital or at a university hospital where there is a plastic surgery teaching program (residency). You can apply to be a “clinic” patient and they will usually provide care to at no charge or a reduced charge. Good luck.

Neal Handel, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.