Is it normal to still have soreness 7 months post op after a tummy tuck? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck done 7 months ago and I still have some swelling by my bully button and it gets sore. Is this normal? The area is very hard around the belly button and it has a bulge.

Is it normal to still have soreness 7 months post op after a tummy tuck?

Yes you can be swollen 7 month after a Tummy Tuck. But is important to know, talking to your PS, if you have developed a seroma (fluid collection) around your belly. This acumulation can cause fibrosis (bulge) and pain.

Ultrasound therapy can help to improve your condition.

Belly button pain

Great Question. With you talking about a buldge I would if you have a umbilical hernia? This is common sometimes before surgery and I fix it during surgery- but maybe your surgeon did not see it before surgery- or possibly it came up after surgery. I would have your surgeon look at this for you. You should not still be having pain 7 months after surgery. 

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Pain after tummy tuck

Its possible to have a little discomfort seven months out from a tummy tuck, but somewhat unusual. The fact you have a small lump concerns me. I would go back and see your surgeon to make sure all is good.

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. In most instances your soreness and discomfort should have full resolved and only through more vigorous exercise should you have some soreness.  Because of the swelling near your belly button as well as the fact that the area gets sore and has a bulge I would see your surgeon to ensure no other issues are taking place, such as a fluid collection, muscle laxity, or hernia.  Hope this helps.

Yes very possible. The cause could be a variety of issues: hernia, muscle repair released, seroma, retention suture issues, sensory nerve entrapment, etc. Best to seek only i person opinions from boarded PSs in your area...