Will I need a lift with a Breast augmentation? (photos)

I lost weight and my brests shrank significantly. I plan on getting a Brest augmentation but am curious if I would need a lift as well. Also, I am very active in a physical sport, how will an augmentation be effected by this?

The need for a breast lift with an implant

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos it appears that you will need a breast lift with an augmentation. In general, if the nipple and areola are below the inframammary crease, the fold below the breast, then a breast lift is often required to reposition the nipple and areola.  I recommend that you are examined by a board certified plastic surgeon to .discuss your breast lift and breast implant options

Is Lift Needed with BA?

It is very difficult to determine which lift technique if any without knowing how perky you wish to be and the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 200 cc implant to make her go from a “C” cup to a “D” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link. Based on your photos I think you will be much happier with a lift.
#breastlift
#breastimplant
#breastaugmentation

Breast lift with implants

Hello and thanks for reaching out to us! Based on your photos, I think you would benefit most from a breast lift with implants. When I discuss with my patients about breast lifting techniques and also use of implants, I break down the different topics into parts.

The easy way to decipher what each procedure produces is that implants increase breast volume and add upper pole fullness. Implants are placed in either a subglandular or subpectoral pocket centered over the left and right chest breast footprint. In your case, because your skin appears thin, I would recommend subpectoral placement. When you have ptosis/sagging, where the nipple-areola complex is at the fold or lower, your breast will continue to hang off of your chest onto your upper abdomen even after implants. In fact, in patients with such sagging who undergo an augmentation without a lift, their breast tissue hangs off of the implant that is sitting on their chest, creating a shape like Snoopy's nose, hence called a "snoopy" deformity. Implants can not give a therapeutic lift and taking shortcuts will only lead to suboptimal results. In some borderline cases of ptosis, breast augmentation can be performed and if there is unsatisfactory sagging, then a lift can be performed later at a second stage, but in your case, an in person examination will be most instrumental in going over your lifting options in conjunction with implants.

Two lifting techniques that are very good ones in the right patient and I use are based on the following:
1) if it is mainly the nipple position that needs lifting, I like the circumareolar approach (also called a donut lift)
vs
2) if a large portion of the breast tissue/weight needs to be lifted, a circumvertical and sometimes a full anchor incision is needed as the circumareolar approach in my mind is not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast and results in stretching of the areola and drooping over time.

Click on the link referenced below and scroll down and the two examples listed are of patients whom had both mastopexy and augmentation and you can see one patient in whom the circumareolar approach was sufficient whereas the other needed the circumvertical incision. I hope this helps you!

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. I recommend you to get a breast lift with soft cohesive silicone implants. Get a consultation with a board certifed plasic surgeon... You will have beautiful results

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Lift with Implant

Based solely on your photos, you look as if you would benefit most from a breast lift with an implant. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. In terms of activity, the right sized implant for your body should not in any way interfere. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Will I need a lift with a Breast augmentation?

Thank you for the question and pictures (and congratulations on your weight loss). You will benefit from breast augmentation/lifting surgery
You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Some general thoughts may be helpful to you as you learn more:

Patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately.

Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time. This revisionary rate may be as high (or higher) than 20%. Patients should be aware of this higher revisionary rate; obviously, the need for additional surgery, time off work/life considerations, and additional expenses our “factors” that should be considered before undergoing the initial operation.

Personally, I find that the breast augmentation/lifting procedure to be one of the most challenging of the breast operations I perform, even compared to somewhat complex revisionary breast surgery. On the one hand, when performing breast augmentation/lifting surgery we are increasing the breast size with breast implants; on the other hand, we are reducing the breast “envelope” in order to achieve the breast lift. These two “forces” must be balanced as perfectly as possible in order to achieve the desired results. Removing too much skin/ breast tissue is problematic; removing too little breast skin/tissue can also be problematic. Remember also that patients presenting for breast lifting surgery and general have lost some skin elasticity/thickness making potential incision line healing problems and/or recurrent drooping/sagging important concerns to communicate.
The analogy I use in my practice is that of a thinned out balloon, being expanded with additional air, while at the same time removing some of the balloons rubber surface. I hope that this analogy helps patients understand some of the issues at hand when performing the combination breast augmentation/lifing operation.

To achieve a surgical result where the breast implant and breast tissue “come together” and behave like a single breast is one of my goals but can be difficult to achieve. Essentially, we are trying to create a breast implant/breast tissue interface that feels and behaves as naturally ( as a single unit) as possible. Generally speaking, making sure that the breast implant has some sub muscular and some sub glandular component ( dual plane) and tailoring the overlying skin/subcutaneous tissue/breast tissue as precisely as possible over the underlying breast implant is key.
Despite these efforts, breast implants are after all a foreign body that don't necessarily stay where we wish they would; therefore, breast implant related problems such as positioning ( too high, too low, lateral displacement etc.) can occur and may be a reason for returning to the operating room for revisionary breast surgery.I use a “tailor tacking” technique that allows a determination of what breast implant should be used to SAFELY produce the results the patient is looking for. This technique involves use of a temporary sizer and temporary “closure” of the overlying breast skin over the sizer. The use of the tailor tacking technique is very helpful. Breast lifting involves removal of skin ( and tightening of the breast skin envelope) while breast augmentation involves expansion of the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Again, despite these efforts, breast implant and/or tissue/skin complications may arise causing minor or significant complications.

Generally speaking, it is difficult to achieve the “perfect” result with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, despite best efforts. Patients should be aware of the complexity of this combination procedure, achieve REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS prior to proceeding, and understand that additional surgery ( along with the additional recovery time, stress, expenses etc) may be necessary in the short or long-term. Patients should understand that the results of the procedure will not necessarily match aesthetically the results of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery only.
For example, some patients who wish to maintain long-term superior pole volume/"roundness" may find that this result is not achieved after the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. An additional operation, possibly involving capsulorrhaphy, may be necessary to achieve the patient's longer-term goals ( with superior pole volume/roundness). It is helpful if patients understand that this breast implant capsule used to provide the support for the breast implant is not present during the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. The capsule (layer of scar tissue) forms around the breast implant and may be a good source of supportive tissue during revisionary breast surgery, Including correction of breast implant displacement/malposition problems ( such as bottoming out, symmastia, lateral displacement etc).

Potential risks associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery include infection, bleeding, incision line healing problems, loss/change of nipple/areola complex sensation, and blood flow related issues to causing skin or tissue necrosis. Poor scarring, pigment changes, areola/nipple asymmetry etc. are also potential problems. Again, patients may experience implant related problems such as encapsulation, leakage, displacement problems ( too high, bottoming out, lateral displacement, asymmetric positioning etc.), rippling/palpability of breast implants etc. Patients may also be dissatisfied with breast size, shape, and/or how the breast implants and overlying breast tissues “interface” with one another. Occasionally, a breast implant may even have to be removed and the patient will generally be “implant free” for several months at least. Obviously, this situation can be quite physically, emotionally, and psychosocially stressful to the patient involved.

Given the complexity of the combination breast augmentation/lifting operation and the greater risk of revisionary breast surgery needed, there are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately. For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications). However, doing the procedure in one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is much safer. Nevertheless, the potential risks are greater with a 1 stage procedure and the patient does have a higher likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.Having discussed some of the downsides and potential risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. I hope that this summary of SOME of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Breast lift and implant?

Looking at your photos I feel you  need a lift if you are considering breast surgery. An implant at the same time would be great to add volume. Once you recover completely from your surgery you can restart all sports. Good luck.

Breast Augmentation / Breast Lift

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. You will require an examination but it does appear from your photos that you will need a breast lift in addition to your breast augmentation. Once you are fully recovered from your breast surgery you should not have restrictions on your physical activity which would allow you to participate in sports. Best of Luck...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be a good candidate for a circum-areolar  lift
I recommend that athletic patients have their implants placed above the muscle (sub -fascial)

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a lift with a Breast augmentation

I think a lift with the breast implant will give you a better result as your natural breasts right now are lower on your rib cage. The physical activity will not affect he implant itself but it might cause the sagging that will come in time to happen a bit faster, depending on the type of physical activity you are involved in. Running has the greatest effect on sagging after a lift.

Julio Garcia, MD