I am 60, and considering both face/neck lift and rhinoplasty. Should they be done at the same time, necessarily? (Photo)

Perhaps I would only need a nose tip refinement. It looks really large when I smile. I have a bump but am fine with it.

Can face lift and rhinoplasty be done at the same time

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• Yes, a rhinoplasty and a face lift can be done together.
  • If the issue is distortion of your nose when you smile, you may need a resection of the depressor muscles of the nose, instead of a rhinoplasty.
  • Discuss this possibility with your surgeon and enjoy your result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Face and rhino together

This can be done and I have done it.A lot of people say if I am going to be down for the count might as well do it all together.Obviously it would depend on how much needs to be doen to both and your overall medical condition but if all checks out why not.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

A facelift in rhinoplasty can be done together.

A facelift and rhinoplasty can be done together. There is no particular advantage in staggering these operations. Video imaging would be a good way to figure out what to expect from this combination surgery.

I am 60, and considering both face/neck lift and rhinoplasty. Should they be done at the same time, necessarily?

The short answer- is yes. In the right hands, with an experienced Board Certified PS you can expect the cheeks, the neck and the nose to be done at the same time. However, it is first priority to evaluate your suitability medically for general anesthesia. This can be done as an outpatient procedure, provided you have an attentive and qualified person to be with you the night of surgery and for 2 days post-operatively. 
The nose is a unique structure that in my opinion requires complete attention in order to achieve the best result. It's rare to only treat the tip.

Face/Neck lift with Rhinoplasty

From your photo, it appears you would benefit from a neck lift and/or face lift. However, determining the need and possible results of a rhinoplasty is a complex question requiring evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon. A tip rhinoplatsy may help if that is your concern. The question at hand shouldn't be if you have them done together but if you indeed need a rhinoplasty. If you have decided you want to go that route, and you are healthy, these procedures are often performed together. 

Richard A. de Ramon, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Do it all together

If you are otherwise in good health, you should do all the surgery together. This will slightly prolong your anesthesia time, but will only require you to go to sleep once. More importantly, you will overlap all of your recovery time. Doing it all together allows you to take a couple of weeks to be recovered from all the procedures at once. If you are in Naples, Florida, see Dr. Gardner.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with facelift

At your age, a facelift is not an unreasonable option to address excess skin laxity in your face and neck. It is not uncommon to undergo multiple procedures at once as this saves the patient multiple procedures and is cost effective. However,  the nose is another entity that would likely need to be discussed with your facial plastic surgeon.  With a thorough analysis, the surgeon will be able to gauge what your dislikes are about your nose and see if these are realistic expectations. At the end of the consultation, if you feel like this fits what you desire to change about your nose, then I would encourage you to do all procedures at once. Good luck!

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

A well done facelift can often lift the nose. I would do the face and neck lift first and wait to see if you still want Rhinoplasty. They can be done together but both are complex procedures when done properly. I would let your surgeon focus on the best result possible for each procedure focusing on each one separately.

Perhaps.

A rhinoplasty and face/neck lift can be safely performed at the same time.  One reason they may not be combined is when the nose requires extensive reconstruction, either from previous surgeries or serious trauma.  

I do believe that the patient should stay in an overnight care facility or with a medical professional the first night, however. 

Timothy R. Miller, MD

60 year old considering faclift/necklift and rhinoplasty

You can certainly do all of these procedures together if you are in good health.  It is always best to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to go over your options and of course your health history as my colleague stated.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD