Any alternatives to abdominoplasty? (Photo)

I would like to know if there is any procedure that would improve the appearance ( loose skin) of my stomach area without having a tummy tuck. I will not consider a tummy tuck, but if there is anything less intrusive, I would really appreciate any information on it. Thank you.

Skin tightening of the abdomen

Thank you for your question.  In general, when there is skin laxity, removing the skin is the "Gold Standard"  treatment.  In this case, as you alluded to abdominoplasty is the procedure of choice in patients with excess skin of the abdomen.  However, there are many women just like you who do not wish to undergo abdominoplasty for a variety of reasons, in which case alternative treatments can be explored with the understanding that results will not be the same as with the traditional abdominoplasty.

I have treated many patients in my practice with Thermitight, which is a minimally invasive skin tightening procedure administered only by physicians. Thermitight is different from other skin tightening modalities in that the heat is directed under the skin surface, rather than at the skin surface. Results can be expected in 6-12 months.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Naples Physician

Any alternatives to abdominoplasty?

Hi. I feel that the best alternative to get a considerable tightening of your skin and removal of the fat is Vaser liposuction. Of all of the liposuction modalities the Vaser is by far the ost effective in achieving what you want. Any non- surgical or non-invasive procedures will not produce the results you seek. Good luck, Dr PG

Alternatives to tummy tuck

There are many options to choose from for skin tightening without surgery. Unfortunately most patients will show minimal improvement in the skin after these treatments. If one machine was superior to the others then there would be only one or two options. Fat removal will improve the shape of the abdomen but not change the laxity in the skin Good luck.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is a great option for tummy contouring

I think CoolSculpting would be a great option for you.  I find that CoolSculpting tends to give a smoother result in loose skin than liposuction often does.  Be sure to find a plastic surgery practice for your CoolSculpting, as we have multiple treatment options, not just CoolSculpting. (A place with just CoolSculpting will tell you to have CoolSculpting done because they have no other options.)  

Carmen Kavali, MD

Alternatives to abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question.  From the photos, it doesn't appear that you have significant excess of skin in the tummy.  A tummy tuck may not be worth the scar involved since you don't have a lot of excess skin.  You can consider laser assisted liposuction with SMARTLIPO which can remove some of the fat and help the skin retract due to the heat of the laser.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be your best step to discuss options with a full exam.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Lipo V.S Tummy tuck

From the pictures that you provided, it looks like you may be a good candidate for Slim Liposuction. It's always best to be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and the best suggestions.

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

There are number of procedures that can be done. You appear to have a very nice shape, and if your skin quality is good there are a number of devices out there which can tighten the skin. That could be done along with Liposuction to give you a nice improvement in the shape of your abdomen.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice for cases like yours I usually recommend to perform waist and lateral liposuction to give you a better body contour.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

TT alternatives

Obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. During that visit, they will listen to your concerns about your abdomen, examine you and discuss treatment options. Things like liposuction or non surgical skin tightening devices can be discussed in terms of what they can do for you.

Any alternatives to abdominoplasty?

There are non-operative skin tightening devices like SkinTyte and Exilis that will tighten your skin and will also produce some fat reduction (Exilis, not SkinTyte). These technologies require a series of three to five treatments, but there is no downtime after the procedure.