Does the treatment help a woman feel like wanting to have sex again?

I am 68 years old and have the typical symptoms of a post-menopausal woman. We have intercourse probably once a year; and even then it takes me forever to get aroused. Will this procedure increase the "mood" ? And also, will it bring back the enjoyment of sex...right now, it's a real chore trying to even get to the tingles stage, let alone climax. I'm desperate. My husband and I are "active" seniors and have been married for 45 years. Want my body to respond to my spirit!!

Will vaginal rejuvenation put me in the mood?

I agree with Dr Pelosi's answer that surgery is not the answer and can make things worse.  You might have some degree of pelvic organ prolapse, however - so evaluation by a gynecologist or urogynecologist would be a good first step.  There could be anatomical issues.

Dr. Goodman answer gives great information for you to peruse.  

The only thing I might add is this: if you are having trouble getting sexually aroused you might need more vibratory stimulation.  Buy a hand held back massager that plugs in and keep it in the bedroom.  I had a patient tell me that when she used this for the first time her husband told her that after fifteen minutes the dog in the next room began to whimper. 

Surgery won't get you into the mood for sex

Hormonal issues are the main issues when kickstarting the mood for sex. Once you're in the mood, if sex is painful or uncomfortable, another set of hormonal issues may be affecting you. You need a consultation with an expert in menopausal issues. Jumping into surgery is not only unwise, but also unlikely to address your needs.

Sex can be wonderful at ANY age!

Hi,

I've been away on vacation for several days, but kept your question to answer. (Better late than never...) I personally am 73 years old. My partner is 63. When we got together 3 1/2 years ago she had not had sex in 5 years, and was post-menopausal, not on HT. We "...wanted to..." but couldn't. She was just too dry & tight. We worked at it and were inventive as she began on intra-vaginal estradiol and "rejuvenated" her vagina. It took ~ 6 weeks before we could have intercourse, and it has been all delicious since then!

Human sexuality is complicated at any age. As men and women age, there are many obstacles on the path to sexual harmony.  These include the condition of a woman's vagina, the condition of our sensual brain looking at our "folds" and "droops" and wrinkles, our hormonal levels (both of us!), our general health and mobility (arthritis sucks!), a man's ability to obtain and sustain an erection, and a woman's ability to allow her lover's penis not only to enter but to "play about pleasurably inside!

Arousal is dependent on hormonal (estrogen and testosterone) levels, our feeling about our own bodies and sexuality, and love and comfort with out partner(s). If it's dry and sex hurts and is a generally unsatisfactory experience, then why do it, and arousal is in the toilet. So... what can improve vaginal and introital (opening) lubrication and "stretchability? There are several options: 1. Intra-vaginal estradiol (estrogen) via a micro-dose cream or dissolving tablet, plus a combined estrogen/testosterone cream or gel if the outside is sore or tight.  This takes ~ 6-10 weeks of therapy to "bring it back to life..."  2. Compounded DHEA cream or suppositories may be used in the same way as intra-vaginal estrogen; takes same amount of time.  3. New oral medication, "ospemifene, 60 mg daily-- will restore vaginal health in ~ 2 months. Is a bit expensive. 4. Intravaginal skin "resurfacing" with either laser energy ("FemiLift" or "MonaLisa Touch") or radiofrequency energy ("ThermiVa") These methods require a painless 5-minute intra-vaginal therapy session repeated 2-3 times over 2-3 months. Lasts ~1 1/2 years (ThermiVa) to 3 years (FemiLift), although is ongoing therapy with intravaginal estrogen or DHEA is followed, the good results last indefinitely. (Please see weblink for additional info on FemiLift...).

Whom to see?? Find a "sexual medicine practitioner" by going to the website of ISSWSH or AASECT and look for an ISSWSH Fellow or an AASECT-Certified practitioner. If this person also is able to perform FemiLift or MonaLisa or ThermiVa treatments, so much the better!  Hope this helps. Body...mind... and spirit!

Bestr wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Vaginal dryness and sexual activity

Thank you for your question and definitely it is the right forum to address it. As a result of the relatively recent change in the approach and acceptance of genital cosmetic procedures ( surgical and non-surgical), many options became available and wildly advertised. In addition to the traditional hormonal therapy ( provided you don't have any contraindications), there are many other treatment options available. Based on your description, it appears that you may benefit from one of the new, non-surgical technologies ( laser or radio-frequency). Their application should restore the quality of atrophic (dry) vaginal tissue by providing moisture and elasticity, which usually results in a much less painful and most likely more enjoyable sexual activity. There are many non-surgical devices available ( Monalisa Touch, ThermiVa) ; therefore a thorough search followed by a consultation with an experienced physician/surgeon might be a good start to resolve your symptoms/concerns. It may take several weeks. even months to be effective but it's worth the time and effort.

Yvonne Wolny, MD

Vaginal rejuvenation and sex

This is a great question and one that many patients ask. For women who have gone through menopause and are not frequently aroused anymore, it is possible that a vaginal rejuvenation procedure will help in regards to the woman feeling more confident in herself. Many patients tell us after surgery that they are much happier and confident in their appearance, and therefore are "in the mood" more often. Your next step should be to consult in person with a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out what your vaginal rejuvenation options are to give you the results you are looking for. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Will Vaginal Rejuvenation increase the "mood"?

Thank you for your excellent question. As a Urogynecologist with interest in Female Sexual Dysfunction I see dozens of women a year with your very same complaints. There's a lot more than just correcting your vaginal issues, either surgically or non-surgically, to get your sex life back to where it was 30 years ago. The best answer for you depends on your complete history and examination. You should search for a sexual health expert with training in vaginal rejuvenation and hormonal management.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Too little too late?

I assume you are asking about MonaLisaTouch the laser treatment of menopausal vaginal atrophy. This therapy will bring softness, mucous, and resiliency back to the vaginal canal and probably the skin opening. It will not change libido, but will change functioning with moisture returning etc. Many people have found "the mood" back again where suffering in silence was the previous norm. Desire is a testosterone mediated feeling and your probably have little of this at 68. Good Luck!

Which treatment?

I am a little unsure of which treatment you are referring to but since you mentioned post menopause and therefore the common symptoms that go along with it such as vaginal dryness, thinning of the vaginal walls, decreased lubrication...

I will venture and suggest the non surgical lasers for vaginal rejuvenation.  They add a huge benefit in my menopausal patients by improving many of the symptoms I pointed out earlier.  These lasers really do work and are quite effective and best of all they are painless with no down time.

Best of luck.