Is there a way of getting a Cool Sculpting treatment without it going on my medical record?

I would really like to get coolsculpting. However, when I signed up to receive a consultation at a nearby clinic, they asked me for my address so they can put it on my medical record. I am 20 years old, I am still under my parents insurance, and I still live with them, too. I really don't want my parents to find out about this. If it is on my medical record, my parents will probably see that, right? Is there a way of doing this without my parents finding out/without it going on my medical record?

Coolsculpting

Insurance does not cover coolsculpting. Your file is confidential. Only you and your medical provider have access to it. 

Sheila Nazarian MD, MMM

CoolSculpting Privacy

Your medical record would be your private file kept at the office you are having any treatments at.  This would only be able to be accessed by yourself, the physician, and medical office staff, unless you give permission otherwise. CoolSculpting is not covered by insurance, so your insurance would not be billed.  Make sure the office you visit is aware that you want to keep this discrete and to not call any phone other than your personal cell phone to confirm appointments, etc. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Privacy

Thank you for your question. I think I can help you by clarifying a few things.
Your medical record is a private document that only the physician and the staff are allowed access to.  The medical record is just in that office and is for their reference so that they document what they know about your medical history and what they have done/recommended for you. Nobody else is allowed access to the record unless you give written permission to have the record released for some reason.  Insurance will not be billed so there will be no third party billed so they will not know. Finally, you are 20 and an adult. Although you live with your parents, legaly they have no access to your record.

Keep it private

Best to pay cash, and give only your private cell number.
And alert the office to your concerns.
It would not go through insurance and insurance would not know unless you state it on exams as part of your past medical history

Coolsculpting and Results

Coolsculpting isn't seen by parents or any insurance.  Its a cosmetic procedure that is documented but not given to any companies.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting is a cosmetic procedure and would not be reported to your insurance company. If you are concerned, you can always speak to your chosen provider. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Patient Confidentiality

CoolSculpting is purely a cosmetic treatment.  There should be no reason to have your insurance company involved.  As an adult, over the age of 18, it would be illegal to have any of your records released to any one without your written consent.

Eric P. Bachelor, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting On Medical Record?

Thank you for your question,

The office does need your address and other identifying information for their records. They also need to document your procedure, however, you can ask that no physical mail ever be sent to your address for privacy reasons. Because Coolsculpting is not covered by insurance, it would not be reported to the insurance company. No one can access your medical records without your consent because of you are over the age of 18. 

I hope this helps,

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting on medical records?

All procedures need to be documented for liability issues. However, Coolsculpting isn't covered by insurance and won't be reported to the insurance companies. These record can not be seen by your parents without your permission because you are over 18.

Steven F. Weiner, MD