Anchor or Lollipop? (Photo)

I am scheduled to have a breast lift without implants next month. My doctor has said that the anchor lift would be best for me but it seems on here that the lollipop is preferred. What would you recommend for me? Also, he recommended that because I don't desire large breast that I do the lift and wait six months to see if I want implants. Thought?

Candidate for a BL

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Anchor or Lollipop?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Anchor or Lollipop?

From your photo it appears that you would benefit from a mastopexy (anchor lift). You mentioned that you don't desire large breasts-- that means that breast lift alone will be sufficient, as long as you're happy with your current volume.

Anchor or Lollipop.

Breast lift is about nipple position, and reduction of the skin envelope when the breast has lost volume. Whether you need a vertical lift or a modified T lift can depend on the skin excess from the nipple to the breast fold. As we cannot examine you and get an understanding for what you expect, and what is acceptable to you at best we wish you luck.

Not to put too fine a point on it but,

as you'll see from the other answers, many docs who do a lollipop (vertical) mastopexy add a small horizontal component. Maybe the terminology should be "full anchor" vs "mini anchor" but suffice it to say that with a scar well hidden under your breast, its unlikely that you'll be bothered by it unless you lift up your breast to see it.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Anchor vs Lollipop Lift

Whether you need an anchor type lift vs. a lollipop type lift is really dependent on preoperative measurements. This is something that your surgeon should have done in the consultation to assess the distances and the available soft tissue requirements. Without a direct examination, it is difficult to say what will work best for you.  Even though you see a lot of mention regarding the lollipop lift on here, I would bet most of those women have a small horizontal incision in their breast crease as well, which technically would make them an anchor type pattern.  If you trust your surgeon, then go with what they recommend.  As far as an implant - if you are not sure, then simply do the lift and see how you like the results.  You do not burn any bridges that way.  I hope this helps.

Anchor or Lollipop?

Thank you for your question and photo.  No online reviewer can make a diagnosis or treatment recommendation without a complete medical history and examination.  For many women a vertical tightening procedure (lollipop) may be sufficient.  On the other hand, if there is excessive loose skin a limited anchor incision may be needed to improve skin contour.  The skin contour and laxity is one variable that contributes to the decision to have an anchor incision.  Not all anchor incisions are the same, some are much shorter than others.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Anchor or Lollipop?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, a lollipop (vertical) breast lift appears to be the best option here; at worse, with a small horizontal extension at the breast crease (not a full anchor).  If you don't want larger breasts, there's no need for implants.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS