Do I have to use the same doctor to fix my breasts if I don't trust them? (photos)

I had breast augmentation (took old ones out and put new ones in) and a lift 4 months ago. I know that it hasn't been 6 months yet, but I knew right away that they weren't right. My doctor never examined me or even looked when I brought up my concerns. They are way too high (I found out that she choose those kind on purpose and places high). They are squared off on sides and bottom, so then 1 breast is pushed up more than the other. Also I am not lifted enough, nor am I centered.

Do I Have to Use the Same Surgeon Breast Revision?

The short answer is no, you do not need to use the same surgeon. On the other hand, most reputable surgeons really want their patients to be happy, and they will usually make an effort to reduce your costs (such as not charging a surgeons fee) for any type revision. So in many ways they are in the best position to fix the problem. On the other hand, if you have reached the point where you have lost all faith in their ability, or willingness, to correct the problem, then for your own peace of mind you may be better off seeing another surgeon. The biggest downside will be that he or she likely won't be giving you any sort of discount in part because revision surgery is usually more difficult and carries greater risks.

If you are only 4 months out from surgery it is still possible that your implants might still settle further which would improve your outcome. Most surgeons would have you wait at least six months before doing a revision in a situation as complicated as yours.

Using the Same Surgeon?

You absolutely do not need to go back to the same surgeon. It is important to have confidence in your surgeon. However, if you go to a new surgeon, it will most likely cost more as surgeons who redo their own patients usually discount the fees. Have a frank discussion with your surgeon to find out what she recommends. But if you are really uncomfortable going back to your surgeon, then you should get another opinion (or two!). Be sure to see Board Certified Plastic surgeons. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

You can choose any surgeon you want

but its usually to your financial advantage to use the original surgeon who did your most recent procedure.  Your surgeon should be bending over backwards to help you get a better result if nothing changes from where you are because your current results are simply not acceptable.  If you just don't want to use your same surgeon, you can anticipate spending considerable amounts since you are considered a 'new patient'.  Best to work out your differences with your surgeon and know the details of the revision policy.  If she is going to charge you a full fee again, go somewhere else and you can vent on social media sites with one star ratings.

Curtis Wong, MD

Selecting a Different Surgeon for a Revision

Of course not. But your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, decrease the need for an additional #revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient #reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Which doctor to use?

No, you should go with someone you feel confident in. Breast implants are not without their issues, any doctor that does lots of implants will have some issues that arise but you need to feel comfortable with having them revise them. The down side of a new doctor is they will charge you full price for the correction.  It is worth it if you don't feel comfortable with the pervious Physician though.

Revision Breast Surgery

Hello,No, you do not have to return to your surgeon. In fact, if she is not a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision breast surgery, then you really owe it to yourself to have a few consultations with surgeons that are.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do I have to use the same doctor to fix my breasts

Thank you for your question. No, you don't have to use the same doctor to fix your breasts if you're not comfortable with them.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Do I have to use the same doctor to fix my breasts if I don't trust them?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery. I think, generally speaking, assuming a patient is working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery, that it is in the patient's best interest to "stick with" their initial plastic surgeon. Of course, it is important that patients "trust" their plastic surgeon;  otherwise issues such as preoperative anxiety…are increased.  If in doubt,  confirm that your plastic surgeon has significant experience  achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with and/or seek additional opinions with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience.  Best wishes.

Dear LindeeluluYou are certainly not obligated to use the same surgeon. I would go back to your surgeon and discuss your complaints and ask what he or she would do to resolve. Get a sense of exactly how and what would be done. Then get the opinion of two other plastic surgeons. Then make a decision based on all the relevant information. If all three have similar descriptions of what the problem is and will solve the same way or if there are differences in opinion. Generally, your original surgeon will tell you they can make it better and their tone and attitude is often helpful in deciding if you should use them. Ask them or any other surgeon how confident they are that they understand your goals and how confident they are they can deliver that result. Look for well trained Plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Original surgeon usually but not always best for revision

Your original surgeon knows you best and is surely motivated to make you happy with the outcome. However, it sounds like there was not good communication about the choice of implant size and type. At 6 months, you should have a heart to heart and see if you can get on the same page about your goals and what it will take to get there.

Richard Baxter, MD