Can I get away with CoolSculpting with this belly? (Photo)

I don't plan on wearing a low cut bikini can I get away with coolsculpting? I have loose skin on low belly. I realize a tummy tuck is needed for loose skin to go away. However the coolsculpting is very attractive right now because of no downtime. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Coolsculpting for a low cut bikini?

Coolsculpting does not address skin laxity or stretched out abdominal muscles. Only a tummy tuck would help with that issue by removing excess tissue and repairing the muscles. However, if you do not want to have surgery, then coolsculpting may be an option if you have reasonable expectations since it may not address the tissue overhang.  Coolsculpting works in overlapping treatments that reduce the fat over several months times.  Our goal is to also try to improve the quality of skin over the top of Coolsculpting results and we now have ThermiSmooth250. This is radiofrequency to improve the appearance of skin. It also works slowly over time but can be a nice addition. We have started to call this the Fire and Ice Treatment.

Make sure to visit with a practice that can offer surgical and non surgical options.

COOLSCULPTING NJ

Thanks for your question. I do not believe Coolsculpting is the best option for you. Each treatment reduces 20% of fat cells. I would reccomend loosing some weight so you can get more fat cells into the applicators for a better reduction. The loose skin will not be addressed with this treatment.  

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

If there is the ability to have no downtime in your schedule then CoolSculpting is the option to explore.  I see many patients in my practice who's schedules don't allow them to take any time for recovery.

Cool sculpting results skin tightening

You might get at best 20% change. So not really the best option plus no skin tightening with cool sculpting.  Smart lipo or Bodytite ( tightens skin 40% ) which are minimally invasive will do the trick. Downtime is 48 hours and results are visible immediately and will look much better at 6 weeks. 

Spero Theodorou, MD
New York Physician

Coolsculpting vs vaser liposuction vs tummy tuck

The best treatment will depend on your expectations, your budget and the downtime. Coolsculpting results will probably not meet your expectations as you have an overhang in your lower abdomen. You will need either vaser liposuction or a tummy tuck to improve the overhang. Vaser liposuction will improve the overhang but may not fully correct the overhang. A tummy tuck will leave you with no overhang but it involves a much longer recovery and a scar from hip to hip. I hope this helps in your decision making process. 

Joseph Ajaka, MD, MBBS
Sydney Physician

Coolsculpting vs. surgery

Coolsculpting is best for addressing excess fat but not excess skin.  For patients with excess skin tummy tuck surgery is usually the best option for a good result.  Although the recovery from Coolsculpting and surgery are clearly different, some patients can get back to work and family quite quickly after a tummy tuck.  A visit to a plastic surgeon's office will help you to understand what types of procedures you're a candidate for, and what aesthetic outcomes are realistic in your particular case.  In order to get a qualified, ethical, and expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, schedule an in-person office consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Keith M. Blechman, MD

Am I a candidate for Coolsculpting?

Coolsculpting can be used for your belly. It is intended only to decrease fat in patients with BMI of 30 or less. It won't change the loose skin. More effective results can be had adding Vanquish, Z Wave, and using CoolAdvantage handpieces. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

No downtime with some fat reduction with #Coolsculpting is attractive

Hi glfrancis. CS is an attractive option to achieve some fat reduction overall in your abdomen.  Keep in mind that looseness of your abdominal muscles will be unchanged and is the possibly the cause of protrusion (on your side view).  You are correct that skin tightening should not be expected. Basically, you will get some improvement with CS, but not as much as you would with a tuck--it may even keep you from needing lipo at the time of your tuck. Best wishes,

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for belly

Thank you for your question and pictures. Coolsculpting is a great treatment option to get rid of stubborn fat. However, from looking at your pictures it looks like skin laxity is also an issue and Coolsculpting will not be able to help you with this. If you do only Coolsculpting, it may not give you the look you desire. I recommend seeing a certified plastic surgeon for a proper consultation and treatment plan tailored for you. I hope this help. All the best, 

Alain Michon, MD
Ottawa Physician

CoolSculpting will reduce abdominal fat but not loose skin

Glfrancis,

Coolsculpting will help reduce some of the fat around your abdomen. It can also help tighten the skin a little bit (but not much).  In general, the older you are and the looser the skin (damaged by stretch marks), the less likely you will see a rebound in the skin.  But as a candidate for CoolSculpting, you would be a good candidate.  Our program helps reduce fat over the entire abdomen and is a good adjunct for CoolSculpting.  

Hope this helps,

Dr. Garry Kim

Garry K. Kim, MD
Pasadena Internist