Will my labia minora smooth out over time. (photo)

I had labiaplasty one side 3 weeks ago. I am just wondering if this is going to smooth out over time? It just looks rough from where the stitches were.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks, and if it has only been three weeks there is probably still some progress in this part of the healing process. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well.

It will smooth out

This is typical for a trim approach. The bumps are from the sutures that leave little indentations and bulges. I use the extended wedge, even if it's just on one side, because it leaves a smooth, natural contour to the edge of the vulva. Be patient, though, it will settle down. Looks great for 3 weeks. I'm surprised that you have jewelry back in... I would have told my patients to wait 6 weeks for that!

Will Labia Smooth Out 3 Weeks after Labiaplasty?

Your labia are still swollen, and it will take 3 to 6 months for them to settle and for you to see your final result. Small irregularities often smooth out with time.To understand more about scarring and healing, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Will my labia minora smooth out over time?

Thank you for your question.  I see your area of concern and at 3 weeks I would recommend allowing a bit more time to pass to allow your results to mature.  At this stage your skin edges are showing signs of the sutures placed to repair your labiaplasty and this should smooth with time.  Hang in there and discuss scar massage and moisturizer treatment with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Lumpiness after surgery

It is completely normal to have lumpiness and some irregularity over the incision after the labiaplasty or any surgery.  It usually peaks around 1 month and after that, it starts to get softer, and smoother.  It looks like your postoperative course is normal.

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

"Scalloping" with a linear/trim labiaplasty secondary to tight, delayed-absorbable large-caliber sutures

You'll need to wait a bit to see the final outcome, but it appears that your doc put in "running" sutures a bit tight, which can give the "scalloped" appearance you see. You will know final results at ~ 2-3 months. This is why I only use 5-0- Vicryl Rapide on the skin, using sutures under the skin wherever possible. When a surgeon uses larger caliber (3-0 and 4-0) sutures, especially if they are regular Vicryl or Monocryl on the skin, and especially if they are "running" sutures, scalloping like you have on the left is possible.

If the scalloping is still there at 3-4 months, see a good LP revision surgeon (experienced!) you may be able to have either a surgical or rediofrequency "airbrush" revision.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Three weeks is early healing phase after labiaplasty

Sutures can cause creases in the skin. When the sutures dissolve, most creases away. Give yourself at least 2 months from surgery to assess a final result. If skin irregularities remain, then consider a revision at least 6 months later.

Labiaplasty and swelling

It is normal to have swelling that lasts for several weeks to months. Those ridges or bumps are likely related to the suturing technique that was used and should largely resolve gradually. I would rest assured. 

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Will my labia minora smooth out over time.

Three weeks is still early in the healing process. This will smooth down some as the swelling continues to get better.

From the photo you submitted, it looks like the left side was reduced using a "trimming" method (I'm guessing?).  At this stage of healing, there is still some swelling involved, which makes the tissue look "thick" and exaggerates the "bumpiness" left behind from stitches.  As the suture material dissolves and as the swelling decreases, these changes will become less noticeable, but the left side and right side may never be an exact mirror image of each other.  Some degree of labial asymmetry is quite common whether or not any surgery was performed.  It looks to me like your surgeon did a good job and it should heal well and look quite natural after 6-8 weeks.