4 1/2 weeks post-op, right breast isn't dropping at all. What could be the cause of this? (photo)

4 1/2 weeks post op. 495cc under muscle in both. Right breast seems smaller, sitting high and feeling breast tissue hanging. Have been doing aggressive massage and still not seeing change. Left breast is great! Also my right breast seems to have flat spots in areas and feels firmer in the flat spots. Right implant still sitting above the incision. What could be the cause of this?

When one implant doesn't settle as the other

I get aggressive with my patients in trying to improve that.  Your surgeon should be telling you what you can do to help this as if you do not settle, you are looking at having to have revision and your surgeon should be thinking of everything to help minimize that need.  In my practice, I have such patients use bras in asymmetric manners where the band of the higher breast is pulled over the top, exposing the breast, but pushing down on it all the time.  Hand massage is also encouraged and most of my patients can achieve a near symmetrical result when doing this.  But this only really works with smooth round implants... good luck.

Still healing

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent procedure! You look to be healing normally from the pictures provided. Your breasts will appear a little uneven for the first few weeks as you are still very early in the healing process.  Your breasts will not begin to settle, and feel more a part of you, until about 4-6 months. I would recommend giving yourself more time to heal. Should you have any additional major concerns, don't hesitate to seek a one-on-one follow up with your surgeon. Good luck and congratulations again!

Timing to final result in BBA

Hello and thanks for posting your question and photos.

I would counsel you to continue to exercise patience and stay in touch with your plastic surgeon regarding your concerns. I typically counsel my patients to wait until 3-4 months and sometimes up to 6 months postoperatively to assess for final results. 

Best wishes!

Rachel Streu, MD

Massage Doesn't Do Anything

Of course your 'aggressive massage' isn't helping.  To clarify what I told you in your last post, it is proven to be ineffective in preventing or treating capsular contracture, and is unnecessary for normal healing to occur. The cause may very well be capsular contracture, but only time will tell; 3 to 6 months. In the mean time, stop stressing, stop massaging, and go on with your life. Things will get better or not. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

4 1/2 weeks post-op, right breast isn't dropping at all. What could be the cause of this?

It's a good question. It's still early,and as other doctors have said it takes 3-6 months for the implants to settle fully. I would give yourself more time. You should have a nice result. Congratulations on your surgery.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. You are still early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the first 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The breasts may swell asymmetrically. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast augmentation recovery

It is expected that the breasts will heal at different rates.  Though they set next to one another, they are two separate breasts that each underwent surgery.  As long as you are following your surgeon's advice and keeping all follow up appointments, you should do fine.  It takes 3-6 months for the breasts to heal to the point that you can assess your final results.  I know it's hard to be patient, but that is what is needed.

Camille Cash, MD

Post breast augmentation

It is not unusual after a breast augmentation when implants are placed beneath the muscle for them to be high for a period of time.   This is as a result of the overlying  muscles contracting and preventing the implant from falling further.  For this reason it is important to limit your activities with this extremity and chest muscles so that these muscles can relax and allow the implant drop.  Breast massage also helps encourage the implant to drop which you have already been doing.   While 4 1/2 weeks might seem like a long time I have seen implants drop as late as three months.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Sitting high

You have two different breasts and use your arms differently, so your implants may not settle at the same time. You are still very early in your healing phase. Some may take up to 6 months to completely settle. Please follow all your surgeon's advice and discuss all your concerns with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon