I have recently gotten really into yoga, but have also been considering implants. How long will the surgery effect practice?

Return to Yoga after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question and the post. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

I have recently really gotten into yoga but want breast implants. How long will they effect practice.

Thank you for sharing your question.  I have a different viewpoint on women who elect breast augmentation surgery that also practice yoga heavily.  Depending on the size implants selected it can take up to 8-10 weeks to feel comfortable with many isolated and flow exercises - including vinyasas.  Though you should be able to accomplish many balance postures earlier than this, power and flow classes will remain challenging for this duration.  Hope this helps.

Implants and yoga

I like my patients to avoid light exercise for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting or push-up type activity for 6-8 weeks.  Some yoga positions may require that long to wait.

Implants then yoga

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I recommend avoiding any strenuous activity for about 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  Be sure to discuss your post-op activity instructions with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

For my patients, I recommend no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks following surgery.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

4 weeks

Thanks for your question. Congratulations on your decision to take that healthy step. In my practice yoga and other strenuous activity is permitted four weeks after surgery, irrespective of what type of augmentation you had. Beware of large implants. They will get in the way.

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Of course she will want to follow the specific instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon.  That said, in my practice I recommend avoiding very vigorous upper body exercise such as weightlifting, pushups, or very aggressive yoga for 6 weeks after breast augmentation.

Breast augmentation and Yoga

Yes, you should be able to return to all types of exercise (even strenous) after breast augmentation; it may be longer than 6 weeks before you are able or should return to specific activities (especially those involving the pectoralis major muscle). Your plastic surgeon will guide you during your post op course.

You may find the attached link and video interesting to you.