Would I be a good candidate for a Tummy tuck? (photos)

I have my first constitution in a week but I'm nervous of being turn away. And I worried about not being able to get a flat tummy. I'm not looking to be a super model I just want my extra lose skin gone and a flat as possible tummy for me. I have had 2 c-sections and a 60lbs weight loss on my own. I've been stable at my weight over a year now and happy where I am. So would I be a good candidate and could I get a flat tummy? Or would I be turned away for not being small enough? Thank you

You should be an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty, as long as you are not a smoker. You should get a good result

Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.
Columbia, S.C.

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question and photo. Congratulations on your weight loss, assuming youre in good health, I think you´re a great candidate for a Tummy tuck, also know as abdominoplasty, which is a procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance. We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.
Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Would I be a good candidate for a Tummy tuck?

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight and have a BMI of 30 or less( but this is not a hard and fast rule) before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California.

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely. You have overhanging skin and fat and also a protuberant abdomen. The overhanging skin and fat would be removed and the underlying rectus muscles would be plicated (sutured together), which would give you a much flatter abdomen. You will have a somewhat horizontal scar in the lower abdomen and a small scar around the umbilicus, but the trade-off would be very beneficial for you. You will need a liposuction as well, and your plastic surgeon I'm sure will discuss this with you.

I suggest the no-drain tummy tuck because the recovery time is shorter, there is less pain, the complication rate is lower, and you are not encumbered by drains for 5 to 10 days. I have been performing the procedure for four years now without a single seroma.

I suggest a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American board of plastic surgery for your procedure.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your question and photographs.

Candidate for TT?

You have prepared well for TT. Your result from a full TT( Excision of skin between umbilicus and pubic hair line, muscle walltightening-plication,percutaneous reposition of umbilicus) combined with liposuction of the flanks should be good. Consultation with a Board Certified should help you get your desired result.

Turned away ?

Hi girlyfufu. Your BMI will have to be less than 30 so that your surgical experience came be a safe one. With good technique your surgeon should be able to get you pretty flat but you'll need to discuss your expectations with your BCPS. Good luck to you. 

Good candidate for a tummy tuck

Hello and congratulations on achieving your weight loss goals!
From your photo it looks like you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck, with liposuction (lipoabdominoplasty).  Provided you don't have any poorly controlled medical conditions and are not a smoker, I don't see from your pictures why you would be turned away.  Moreover I expect that you will have a great result in the right hands.  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck to you!

Ruth Celestin, MD

Consider extended tummy tuck after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! Assuming you BMI is 30 or less, you should be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Often after large weight loss, there is a greater degree of skin laxity so an extended tummy tuck might be considered. An in-person evaluation is best so you will find out soon what results you can achieve.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thank you for you inquiry and photo. Congratulations on your significant weight loss thus far. From your history and picture, it appears that you are still over your ideal weight. While this does not automatically exclude you from being a candidate for surgery, we generally recommend that you be as close to your ideal weight as possible. However, your expectations need to be realistic. "Flat" is a subjective word and plastic surgery can only impact on the extra skin and external fat above your muscle, and the abdominal muscle looseness or laxity. Surgery cannot remove the extra fat on the inside of your tummy, and therefore a thin and flat tummy would not be realistically achievable in your case, but a much improved tummy can indeed be achieved. 

Your best next step is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can advise you properly on the best treatment plan and the timing of surgery. In our own practice we also have a registered certified nutritionist and personal trainer to advise you on how to optimize your healthy lifestyle choices. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question

You would be a good candidate for the Malibu tummy tuck which gives you a more natural belly button and a quicker recovery vs more traditional operation . To view before and after pictures please watch the accompanying video . I hope you find this information useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA